Sublime Forum

File Window / Project Manager

Hello Sublime Community,

This might have been brought up before, but I apologize right now for asking this question again.

I am using the text editor http://intype.info/home/index.php (Intype). I really, REALLY, like the ability to drag and drop a folder into the Project Manager and from there I can open folders and select files to edit/add. It also has the ability to view hidden files, which is handy.

Does Sublime have anything similar to this? Is there a plugin?

Please let me know, thanks!

0 Likes

20100910 Beta

Partially - if you drag a directory onto the Sublime Text window, it’ll be opened as a project, and you can use Ctrl+P to open files within it.

0 Likes

What about using an actual window / project drawer?

Do you think this can be implemented as either a plugin or a future release? The reason I ask is because I am very comfortable using Textmate for the Mac, and on Windows, this is the closest text editor that resembles it, very close in fact.

I really hope to see this implemented or a plugin for it soon! It really would be useful.

0 Likes

the latest beta has a project pane, see sublimetext.com/beta

its comfortless and rudimentarily (no drag and drop, no creating or deleting of files etc.) but works.

you can activate it under “View/Project Panel”.

0 Likes

ahhh yes, that is what I am looking for!

You are correct “myel”, there is no creating or deleting files/folders. But just being able to view files/folders and its structure helps a lot.

Hopefully deleting and creating files/folders will be in the next beta version?

0 Likes

There is no need to implememt folder creation or file deletion. It is already there!
Just call the file open dialog and use the dialog to do all those things.

0 Likes

I see what you are saying “tgkeul”, but I don’t prefer to work on projects this way.

I prefer to look through the folder tree in the project pane and create the files / folders.

Also, I just noticed, if I use the open dialog to create a folder, if doesn’t show up in the project pane, I need to refresh the project. This is a huge pain the butt because if I am 3-5 folders down (sometimes even more), I need to point and click about a dozen times to get back where I was. The same goes for creating a new file. It takes a major hit in my production time!

One last thing I noticed, when I create a folder and it doesn’t contain any files, the folder doesn’t show up in the project pane…

So again, its nice to see this in the beta phase, I just hope to see it touched up a bit - its still very buggy and not workable with at the moment.

0 Likes