Sublime Forum

Emacs-esque file open?

One thing that annoys me: I can’t seem to figure out how to open a file without going through the OS’s open file dialog. Is there any way to open the file by simply typing in a path (preferably with autocompletion)?

0 Likes

Only files that are in a project. Hit ctrl/cmd + p and start typing.

You can read more about projects here docs.sublimetext.info/en/latest/ … l#projects
or here: tutsplus.com/lesson/all-about-projects/

0 Likes

You don’t need a project, ctrl/cmd+p will list already opened files and files in opened folders. I often do “subl .” to just open up the current directory.

0 Likes

facelessuser made FuzzyFileNav: github.com/facelessuser/FuzzyFileNav

0 Likes

I wrote a little plugin that does what you are talking about. See page two of this thread:

https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/file-change-detection/21/1

0 Likes

I found none of the above did what I want so I wrote a new package, ‘iOpener’:

github.com/rosshemsley/iOpener

Basically works like emacs or bash:

• defaults to current working directory
  • tab gives completions
  • double tap of tab gives directory listings (with nice fuzzy matching provided by ST).
  • ‘up’/‘down’ navigate history of paths previously entered.
  • ‘open’ on folder works as expected: opens a new window with that folder added to sidebar.

Only works on ST3, may or may not work on Windows (let me know if you have a problem?)
Currently only works when there is an active window.

Install: (package control):
package control: add repository: github.com/rosshemsley/iOpener
then install as normal.

Use:
cmd+o (*nix), then as above.
cntl+o (windows)…hopefully. I haven’t tested it yet. then as above.

0 Likes

[quote=“rosshemsley”]I found none of the above did what I want so I wrote a new package, ‘iOpener’:

github.com/rosshemsley/iOpener

[snip]

[/quote]

Very nicely done, Ross. Love it! And here’s my two comments:

• A case-insensitive completion at the one-line prompt would improve the experience, I think.

• It took me a while to learn that double-tab isn’t tap … think about some random thing, yawn … now tap again. It’s fast: tap-tap on tab!

0 Likes

• A case-insensitive completion at the one-line prompt would improve the experience, I think.
    I tried to emulate bash which is quite fussy about case, but it’s certainly possible to add in some settings!
  • It took me a while to learn that double-tab isn’t tap … think about some random thing, yawn … now tap again. It’s fast: tap-tap on tab!
    Yea, I set it to 300ms. I actually thought bash had a similar restriction, but I just had a play and it doesn’t seem to have
    any time restriction at all. I never realised!
  • I think I’ll add an option to the settings, and default it to a second-or-so.

Thank you for your comments!

0 Likes

This looks great, but I can’t get it to install on Windows. Is it incompatible with the latest version of ST3? I added github.com/rosshemsley/iOpener to package control’s repositories, and when I do Install Package, iOpener appears in the menu. But on selecting it, nothing happens. Console window contains the message ‘Package Control: The package “iOpener” is not available on this platform.’

0 Likes

This seems to be a bug in package control, another user has already mentioned it and I opened a ticket.

github.com/wbond/sublime_packag … issues/657

It would be useful if you could add your problem too.

Ross

0 Likes