Sublime Forum

ST2|ST3: Aprosopo Theme

Thanks!

This is really a theme where I tried to solve all my issues with the themes I was most interested in. I tried to get behind NIL, a good theme, but I found overall it just wasn’t to my taste. I then switched to Phoenix, but little things like the active bar and dirty bar not playing nice with each other drove me mad (and it would have required far too much work to fix on the Phoenix branch and probably would have never gotten pulled). After I ran into Flatland, I finally knew what I wanted; it had some really nice elements, but I still really liked Phoenix. I just kind of took my favorite parts from all of the themes (that seemed to work with each other) and mashed them together. Luckily, it worked and didn’t turn into a monstrosity. It really could have went either way. I think the menu options was a nice touch. Menus for themes is something I have always wondered why people haven’t done.

0 Likes

I really like this and your implementation of menus. I have gone through the same path of themes as you did except you did something about it :smile:

Thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“rgidney”]I really like this and your implementation of menus. I have gone through the same path of themes as you did except you did something about it :smile:

Thanks![/quote]

Thanks. I really avoided doing a theme for a long time. I just figured if I waited long enough, a theme would come out that would be exactly what I wanted (even though I didn’t really know what I wanted)…so, yeah, I finally realized I would be waiting a long time. My first theme was pretty lame. It wasn’t till I started thinking about the things I liked about certain themes that I decided to do this, which is why this is a composite of themes instead of a wholly original theme. So a big thanks to the creative minds behind the themes listed on the OP.

I realize this theme isn’t going to be for everyone, but I figured a couple of people may like it as well, or even start incorporating some of the ideas, such as the menus, in future themes.

0 Likes

I love this theme too, it’s gorgeous!

0 Likes

Very nice! Are you planning to do a light version?

0 Likes

@svenax, I do have plans for a light theme. I personally only really use dark themes, so it is a bit low in priority for me. I am going to be pretty busy looking for different employment coming up, so I may be pretty silent on most of my plugins for a bit. But as soon as I find the time, I definitely plan on doing light theme.

0 Likes

I switch between light and dark depending on the time of year. It helps me reduce eye strain :smile: Do you want me to get eye strain? :wink: jks.

How about an option that makes the theme change based on the scheme, like the default does? That way it’d lighten up if using a light scheme :smile:

0 Likes

Some people might like the contrast of a light theme and dark scheme. I will see. I am still not sure how different the light theme will be from the dark. I have to see what looks good and what doesn’t.

0 Likes

• Enabled an experimental light version. Probably as light as I am going to do :smile:.
  • Now supports sidebar icons
  • Properly abstracts ST2 and ST3 variants when selecting themes via the menu.

Check the OP for new screenshots.

0 Likes

• ST2 theme setting from the menu was broken, but it is now fixed
  • Tweaks to visuals (will probably have to update screenshots)

So yeah, ST2 works again. Completely forgot to test that…

0 Likes

Really cool Theme !
I love that you added a lot of different option all accessible through menu.

0 Likes

Thanks!

I thought it was a neat idea that I hadn’t seen anyone do yet, so I thought I would try it out.

0 Likes

• A number of light theme fixes and improvements have been added.
  • Some general theme tweaks.
  • Also, open files now show a generic file icon that is colored with the selected “dirty” color when the file is not saved.
  • New menu option to hide tab close button except on tab hover

See OP for update screenshots.

0 Likes

The light theme is still a bit off for me – and I don’t use dark themes – but I have a name to suggest.

Faceless, in Greek, is “Aprosopo” (απρόσωπο) – that’s the gender neutral form of the word.

Whaddya think?

Alex

0 Likes

Any suggestions? Accent colors too pastel? Dark buttons in the light theme no good? I don’t use light themes, I am slowly trying to make it more acceptable, but some feedback might help me get on track. I honestly haven’t put a lot of effort in the light theme, and some of my choices are based on laziness. The color scheme of accent colors don’t all work on a light back ground, so I left the buttons dark. I am personally thinking about switching the accent colors back to match the dark. I may reduce the light theme color options since only some of the colors work on the light background. Also, I may eventually re-style the dark elements to a lighter variant. It just requires time for me, I was originally hoping I could keep general things common between the dark and light theme (like I said, I don’t use light themes, so it wasn’t important to me), but as time goes on, I am slowly forcing myself to re-tool the light theme and and make it more different. I think it has improved, but I think my general feeling is aligned with yours.

I like it :smile:.

0 Likes

I think the big thing is I still need lighten up the dark elements. I am also still not satisfied with the folder icons…

But again, feedback is welcome. I am only trying to do the light theme for others, not myself. I will see what I can do over the next couple of weeks.

0 Likes

Been stuck at home taking care of injured family member, so I finished up the Light theme (for real this time):

• Stopped being lazy and finally updated and tweaked all light theme graphics and settings (generally much lighter feel)
  • Cleaned up folder icons
  • New Light Color Scheme (see screenshots)

Within the next week, I will rename the repo to Aprosopo (thanks quodlibet). This will cause the settings to all change. Sorry, but I did tell everyone the theme was in beta and subject to change.

Now is probably the time to give feed back on the light theme. I can’t promise how motivated I will be a week from now :wink:.

So here is the completed light theme compared to dark theme as well:

0 Likes

The more I stare at the light theme’s color palette the more I think it is too…spring. This may change. I am still experimenting with color schemes, but I think the overall UI look of the light theme is done.

I will look around for a decent light color scheme to use for the palette. Maybe I will just borrow the Tomorrow color palette (I did use the Tomorrow Eighties palette for the Dark). Light themes are so hard for me.

0 Likes

Theme has been renamed to Aprosopo. It must now be installed as Theme - Aprosopo. I know this may mess things up for people a bit, but once people change over, it won’t be renamed again.

Light color scheme is now a variant of Tomorrow Theme. It looks much better.

I decided to keep the Light UI colors though. I like most of them, and I have decided I am okay with some of them looking girly (light purple and red); I don’t have to use those, and some people might like them.

So I am done. For real :smile:.

0 Likes

I was about to write and say that my light color scheme kicks your light color scheme’s butt… but not quite :smile:

http://i1.minus.com/jofMHyNvBl8cv.png

In the screenshots I see some nice tweaks that I may plunder, such as changing the triple-quoted strings to resemble comments rather than strings.

Just so I know who to praise/blame, what is the extent of your modifications to the Tomorrow Morning theme? Are they limited to color tweaks, or have you modified the structure of the file?

(Which, in the time that it took me to write all this, I could have found out myself, but I didn’t know what my question was until I got to it :smile: )

0 Likes