Sublime Forum

[ST3] Outside changes not pulled in

It seems like if some other software makes a change to a file you currently have open in Sublime Text 3, ST3 doesn’t seem to pull in those changes without having to close the file and re-open it. ST2 would automatically reload a file if it detected a change.

Anyone else having this problem?

0 Likes

This works fine for me on build 3059.

0 Likes

Odd.

Someone else in my office uses ST3 and is having the same issue too, we’ve even tried reinstalling ST3 a few times with no success. Maybe it’s our dev environment?

Hopefully I can explain how this is happening well enough (don’t judge our dev environment, I didn’t set it up :blush: ). The files we work on are accessed through a mapped network drive of our dev server on the local network. The files are then version controlled in repos with Tortoise SVN. If someone makes a commit to a repo and I pull an update to receive those changes, ST3 doesn’t think those files changed so it won’t refresh them if I had those files open.

ST2 did this automatically but I have to close and re-open the file with ST3.

0 Likes

For me the following settings have helped the issues:

"hot_exit": false, "ignore_inodes": true,

Most of the times it does detected changes, but at some time, it just stoppes detecting any changes until restart.
Windows ST3, shared folder is a linux server.
source version system is git. (running on server, got a ssh terminal open which i control git through)

This is a reason for me considering to stop using ST, as i risk overriding a newer file :frowning:

0 Likes

This just happened today. Hell my coworker is now mad at me :open_mouth: :frowning: :cry:

0 Likes

My team is all also seeing this issue. We’re running Sublime Text 3 on Mac OSX 10.9.2, with our files on remote servers or VMs pulled in either through regular samba shares, sshfs mounts, or Transmit SFTP mounts. Usually the files are being changed on the remote machine (e.g. a git pull on a remote shell session), not modified by another program on the same machine (e.g. Tortoise).

Files seem to sometimes reload when first starting Sublime, then reloading stops working.

0 Likes

I’m also seeing this issue (using the latest beta 3062 on mac 10.9.2). Sometimes they reload, sometimes not. I’ve lost some work recently because of it, and now close all files before doing git operations. Switching git branches is very dangerous now with open files :frowning:

0 Likes

You’ll likely see this problem in some situations; it has to do with inotify behaviour across samba and network resources generally. A way to tell is to inspect the sidebar if a new file has been created on a network folder that’s been brought into sublime; if the file doesn’t appear then notify isn’t working and you’ll have to get along with manual refreshing of the sidebar and checking of your files.

Typically I see these issues when samba is serving up SMB network resources. If you’re running Samba 3.0.23+, you can try to add the ‘change_notify’ option to smb.conf, which takes care of the server side serving up notifications. There’s a good chance this will work with Sublime running on clients using Windows, but there may still be issues with the Mac/Linux Samba client side not listening to notify events.

wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_3 … ed/changed
superuser.com/questions/592546/w … from-linux

0 Likes