Sublime Forum

Printing from sublime

Surprising omission.

I searched Google because I thought I was just stupidly missing something obvious but, then, I found this thread.

I am currently assessing the demo of Sublime, is it missing a lot of basic features like this?

When working on big projects, I will quite often print out pages of code and assemble them on a big magnetic whiteboard, to give me a quick overview. I presumed this was a fairly common practice.

0 Likes

To be honest, I think omitting this feature is silly. It is a feature that should be implementable in relatively few steps, and little effort. And one that is often expected of a text editor, and requested frequently of Sublime Text.

0 Likes

Just bought Sublime Text 3 about an hour ago. Spent my time testing RegEx implementation, customization options, auto-completion abilities, etc. before purchase. Never even occurred to me I’d need to check for printing!

While I acknowledge printing isn’t a highly used feature it’s omission, for the few times you do need it, is frustrating. For a full featured editor at this price point, printing should be included - period.

0 Likes

See:

stackoverflow.com/questions/1600 … 2/19112383

0 Likes

I am a new user to ST. I was stunned when I tried to print and couldn’t easily do so. Why WOULDN’T such a fundamental function be included? I’ve read some of the comments saying "I’ve been a {DBA/ web developer / whatever} for X years / decades / millennia… and I never need to print… or hardly ever… and then the comments saying how desperately print capability is needed. Where is the logic being applied here? If you’re a ST user that never prints, mazel tov! But if you need to print, you should be able to. Printing is NOT an “after thought” or “not a high priority”. What’s the harm in it being there if you don’t want to use it?

I think ST may be missing a fair share of market if they think the product is only used by coders / scripters. Those syntax / context sensitive aware capabilities are great. But there are folks that need just a raw text editor that can do global text editing across files or projects.

The value is there (increasing the perceived “bang for the buck” of a $70 editor. I WILL buy it if it could ever print. But consider… there are very capable & stable editors out there already - be it UltraEdit or EditPad Pro that DO print - right now, “as is” that don’t cost what ST does. Last time I checked, for instance, EditPad Pro was like $40 or so. Don’t get me wrong… I LIKE Sublime Text… Ok, I really like it, and had thought I would embrace it as my new default text editor. That’s not to be if it can’t print. I just won’t love it until it can print like essentially every other app I use can. I shouldn’t have to use Sublime Text to edit and then (but CAN if I NEED to) DreamWeaver, Word or Notepad to print. I’ll start with the app that can “do it all” - even if only moderately well instead of an awesome but limited text editor.

Just my 2¢… YAMMV! I hope Sublime Text can print soon. I look forward to becoming a registered user at that time.

–P

0 Likes

Well its not that i really want ST to print … i dont really care.

I think tho, that its a feature that IS EXPECTED in a text editor, what is NOT expected in a text editor is that it is capable of showing images, and from a couple of months not ST does that, to be honest that doesnt make any sense for me.

0 Likes

Add me to the list of those astounded that Sublime Text still cannot print.

I agree it’s not something you do all the time, but it’s a basic feature, and when you need to print something, well, you need to print something.

Does anyone know definitively whether ST3 will be able to print, or not?

0 Likes

I went to print out some rails models, scratched my head, then landed on this thread. Hilarious. ST is awesome! But no printing? This is just too funny.

0 Likes

Another person chiming in. I use Sublimetext for everything I do and would love not to have to switch editors when printing.

0 Likes

A required feature. I really like ST but don’t use it because I don’t want to have to copy text and paste it into TextPad to print… It’s hard to believe that it’s not a missed feature by everyone who uses a text editor on more than a casual basis.

0 Likes

Speaking for myself, I never had to print code on paper since more than a decade.
I may be an exception to the rule as I prefer to read on screen, particularly speaking of code, and if I really have to print something is 100% of the cases a *.pdf or .doc files, and both aren’t handled by ST, so I never missed that funcionality…
Anyway there are packages that, even though I never tested them, let you print:
Simple Print Function (should be crossplatform)
QuickPrint (Win
only)

0 Likes

I have now switched all my text editing to Sublime Text, not just source code. Recently I’ve found that I am copy’n’pasting into another editor to print on a regular basis. When you consider that Sublime Text is by far the best editor in the entire history of text editors (how did I live without Multiple Selections?), and the winner by a mile — think Usain Bolt racing against a bunch of 5 year old kids — it is gobsmackingly strange that printing is not supported.

And I want the works !! Print preview, line numbers on or off, fit to page, font/size control, print whole file or selected text, and the colours of my chosen theme used. SublimePrint is a poor substitute for all that.

0 Likes

Printing support would be useful even if it was just to pdf.

0 Likes

Just use this 50kb Plugin >>ExportHTML ( Package Control )

[quote] Features

Export to HTML using any tmTheme for syntax highlighting
Can handle any language supported by ST2
Supports bold and italic theme font styles as well
Configurable output
Format suitable for copying and pasting in emails
2 included tmTheme files for color and grayscale printing (but any can be used)
Export only selections (multi-select supported)
Export and show highlights (multi-select supported)
Toggle gutter on/off in browser view
Automatically open browser print dialog (optional)
Enable/disable configurable word wrapping
Configurable toolbar to appear in the generated webpage

ExportHtml comes with a number of default commands available, but these can be overridden in the settings file.
Or you can create commands directly outside of the settings file bound to the command palette, key bindings, or even the menu.
[/quote]

Then use the command palette to open the configuration or your browser print dialogue.
From there you can choose your paper or PDF printer.

1 Like

Come on guys, its been 5 years, still can’t print.

I paid for a version, I like it a lot, but I often want to print out some code to study and annotate.

0 Likes

I also think a built in print function would make life easier. I was confused by the lack of one at first, and actually waited longer to become a paid user because it seemed like obvious functionality was missing. That said, I found one plugin that allows printing of selection to the default printer, and also the plugin that prints to HTML. The latter opens the code in a browser window so you can just print it from there. It adds a step that shouldn’t really be necessary, but it works well.

Install package control here: sublime.wbond.net, then search for “print” and you’ll find several options.

0 Likes

yes, printing from a text editor is a feature most of us expect. please make it happen.

0 Likes

I was shocked and confused today when I went to print from Sublime using the trusy old Ctrl-P and nothing happened. A web search later and here I am to find out why.

It is absurd that I would have to switch to a vastly inferior text editor (GEdit) having to copy and paste my content just to print.

Please add this functionality.

0 Likes

Printing would be great for me too please!! Colours and Italics!!

Many thanks

0 Likes

This has been brought up over and over; although Sublime doesn’t have a built in print feature, use of the ExportHTML plugin is more that a workaround and offers numerous benefits, since modern browsers have nice inbuilt print support, with zooming, export to PDF etc. etc… The other benefit to the intermediate step of having your code nicely formatted in HTML is that you can easily postprocess and format before printing if you should wish.

Given the flexibility of this solution I imagine Jon just doesn’t see the value in implementing a dedicated print feature.

As a side note, I don’t understand why so many are put out by this. I too need to print code from time to time and don’t see the above as restrictive in any way.

1 Like