Sublime Forum

Have the ST 2 licence terms changed?

When I bought Sublime Text 2 if my memory serves me correctly I understood that ST 3 was a free upgrade, but ST 4 may be paid.

I have just downloaded ST 3 Beta to try it out and when I enter my licence is says that ST 3 is a paid upgrade from ST 2.

Your website still states the following:

“A license is valid for Sublime Text 3, and includes all point updates, as well as access to prior versions (e.g., Sublime Text 2). Future major versions, such as Sublime Text 4, will be a paid upgrade.” [sublimetext.com/sales_faq]

I wonder if you could clarify the situation of licence pricing to me, and whether there has been a change in which versions are free upgrades?

Kind regards
Adrian

0 Likes

Depending on when you purchased your ST2 license, yes the ST3 license will be a paid upgrade. If I recall correctly though, that would only occur when ST3 left beta. For more information on if it is a paid upgrade for you, see sales@sublimetext.com.

0 Likes

“All license keys purchased since the previous blog post announcing Sublime Text 3 are already full Sublime Text 3 license keys, and no upgrade will be required for these purchases. Please note that while these are Sublime Text 3 license keys, they are also valid for Sublime Text 2.” - sublimetext.com/blog/articles/2013/02

Previous blog post: sublimetext.com/blog/articles/2013/01 (Jan 29, 2013 2:47PM)

So, it seems, any license purchased after January 29th, 2013 2:47PM is a valid Sublime Text 3 license.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information.

Unfortunately my licence was purchased before the date previously mentioned so I am liable to the upgrade price :cry:

I wonder if I read the sublime 3 free upgrade information when they first announced ST3 and assumed that all ST 2 licences were included. Shame, though happy to support a fellow developer making useful software so I’m sure I will still upgrade.

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Likes