Sublime Forum

Do not auto-reload big logfiles

If I am viewing a huge logfile of +200MB and it is often updated (sometimes several times per minute), it is very annoying that ST3 reloads it - I would even say useless.
There should really be an option to control the auto-reload so it can at least be disabled.

4 Likes

You can’t disable auto reloading all together, but this will prevent it from reloading (well it should prompt you if the content on disk have changed). The following can be found in the default settings file.

// Always prompt before reloading a file, even if the file hasn't been // modified. The default behavior is to automatically reload a file if it // hasn't been edited. If a file has unsaved changes, a prompt will always // be shown. "always_prompt_for_file_reload": false

0 Likes

I know this option is available but it doesn’t change the fact that it still is pretty useless to load huge textfiles that often changes.
Having an option for the auto-reload seems so obvious and I assume it is pretty simple to implement.

0 Likes

Just created this feature request on the official suggestion page, sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/3 … to-reload/

0 Likes

Bump.

Is sublimetext.userecho.com still active? It appears to be short on official responses.

0 Likes

Bump.

It is so frustrating when opening logs of currently running app.

0 Likes

Bump.

Any updates to this?

0 Likes

maybe just create ticket in https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues ?

0 Likes

Use notepad++ for reading big log files:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

It has the option to disable auto reload, so let it ways disabled on that plugin and keep using sublime for small files with the auto reload enabled. You also could create a plugin for notepad++ (if such plugin does not exists already) to automatically disable the auto reload for big files:

0 Likes

No, notepad++ can’t load big files. Exceed simething like 500mb and it will just rollover and die (with a message).

Sublime does so better.

However notepad++ prompts me if I want to reload the logfile in question if it is changed on disk - it will be every second in my case. I can then press “no” in notepad++ to be able to view the file. In sublime it just reloads and reloads and reloads. The one fix is to copy the logfile and then open the copy in sublime text. That is just a crappy workaround.

I would like to be able to disable auto-refresh for large files. Perhaps it should just start to prompt me for them, that would work too (if it remembered my “no”).

0 Likes

you may want to vote up / “react” this issue:

1 Like

Go voting for this github issue https://github.com/SublimeTextIssues/Core/issues/1666

0 Likes

not an option on Linux / Mac.

1 Like

Ctrl-C
Ctrl-V
Open the copied file.

0 Likes

@bai it doesn’t fit in case you send a request and then going to view server logs, because

1. you need to copy the file after EVERY request you made
  2. log file size might be large for frequent copying
    and in any case, it’s a very awkward workaround for this drawback
0 Likes

Incidentally we’ve already made some changes that will help with this issue in future releases

0 Likes

@bschaaf glad to hear this :+1:

0 Likes