Sublime Forum

Exclude directory from Go To Anything

Hello,

I use Go To Anything (Cmd+P) many times every day, but there are some system directories in my project. Is it possible to exclude several dirs from “Go To Anything”?

0 Likes

Exclude Folders from Go To Anything

From Preferences > Settings - Default:

[pre=#2A2A2A] // folder_exclude_patterns and file_exclude_patterns control which files
// are listed in folders on the side bar. These can also be set on a per-
// project basis.
“folder_exclude_patterns”: “.svn”, “.git”, “.hg”, “CVS”],
“file_exclude_patterns”: “.pyc", ".pyo”, “.exe", ".dll”, “.obj",".o”, “.a", ".lib”, “.so", ".dylib”, “.ncb", ".sdf”, “.suo", ".pdb”, “.idb", “.DS_Store”, ".class”, “.psd", ".db”],
// These files will still show up in the side bar, but won’t be included in
// Goto Anything or Find in Files
“binary_file_patterns”: “.jpg", ".jpeg”, “.png", ".gif”, “.ttf", ".tga”, “.dds", ".ico”, “.eot", ".pdf”, “.swf", ".jar”, “*.zip”],[/pre]

To override this, add it to Preferences > Settings - User.

0 Likes

This tip came in handy for me. I use the CTAGs package and was tired of getting results from .tags and .tags_sorted_by_file in my results. I added both of these files in my default settings exclude filter and solved it for all my project-wide searches. Thanks for the help!

0 Likes

is “binary_file_patterns” supposed to work on a per project basis?
im trying this

{
	"folders":

{
			"path": "/Users/vitalee/Projects/Test",
      "binary_file_patterns": "config/*.rb"]
		}
	]
}

i expected all .rb files in config to be filtered from goto list but they’re not.
shed some light please.

0 Likes

I would bet that “binary_file_patterns” is only applied to the filename portion, not the path, so you can’t use “config/*.rb” as a pattern. I’d love to be wrong or to hear another way, though; I have a similar problem, system directories that I want to be able to browse but that I don’t want to appear in Go To Anything.

0 Likes

Don’t bet much, because it works as expected when pattern is added in global or user settings file. :smile:
it’s just ignored on a project level.
created a topic on userecho http://sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/124477-binary_file_patterns-in-project-settings-doesnt-work/
go and vote if you care

0 Likes

I wanted to add that this removes the matching files / folders from your whole project, not just from the search.

I can see a solid use case for wanting to remove something from the search, to make it easier to find things in lists, and not wanting to hide it from the project entirely.

0 Likes

Any updates on this? I like the new definitions feature but it lists all my backups as well.

0 Likes

any news on this ?

having the same option to ignore folders from the sidebar & also ignore from the go-to is dump.

0 Likes