Sublime Forum

ST3: indexer locking files in Windows

I’ve been having a problem with git checkout since switching to the ST3 beta. I’m often switching branches for different repos in my day-to-day work, and many of my projects have multiple repos with lots of JS and CSS files in them. What I see when ST3 is running with a project containing those repos are error messages from the “git checkout” that look like

ben.combee@2KS8CW1-PC /c/git/enyobench/enyo ((2.2.0)) $ git checkout - error: unable to create file tools/minifier/node_modules/less/test/less/import/import-once-test-c.less (Permission denied) Checking out files: 100% (662/662), done. D tools/minifier/node_modules/less/test/less/import/import-once-test-c.less Previous HEAD position was ad50ee2... Update package.json with 2.2.0 version Switched to branch 'master'

I tried having the ST3 console open while doing these checkouts and see messages there like

indexing [queue 10]: no files were indexed out of the 308 queued, abandoning crawl

These checkout issues don’t happen when ST3 is closed, so I’m thinking it’s the indexer that’s keeping files locked. I’m using build 3052 but also saw this with 3048. I’m using Windows 7 on this machine, with the git operations running in a msys shell.

0 Likes

I know it’s been a few months, but “me too” - I’m having the exact problem described here - st3, msys git failing to apply branch changes etc due to a “permission denied” error. Anti-virus is excluded from the directory, the Windows Indexer is disabled and nothing else is running that could account for this. Problem is somewhat intermittent, but only ever happens when st3 is running and has never happened when it is not.

0 Likes

+1

0 Likes

+1

At the moment this is only affecting me as my team have not upgraded from ST2; However, this is imminent as I keep raving about the brilliance that is CTRL+Shift+R.

Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 / ST3 Build 3059

0 Likes

+1. Really annoying. Source control checkouts fail even if just the parent folder is open in a project in Sublime, and the problem stops as soon as I close that project.

0 Likes

Have you tried turning atomic save off?

Add:

"atomic_save": false

To your preferences.

0 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, twor. I’ll give it a try.

0 Likes

I’ve also had some trouble with the indexing on Win 7. One thing that helped was excluding patterns from being indexed. Here’s what I use, which you’d want to adapt, obviously:

"index_exclude_patterns":

"*.log",
    ".git/*",
    ".sass-cache/*"
],

github.com/alehandrof/sublime-s … ngs#L60-65

0 Likes

twor didn’t do anything except mention Windows having issues.

0 Likes

Just an update on the latest ST3 3126 build - the issue is still happening. Whenever I’m checking out files I tend to hit file lock issues. If I close ST3 I can reset and checkout again without issue. I have added the recommended indexer excludes.

0 Likes

note that this is being tracked here:

0 Likes

Is indexing idle while you are experiencing the file locks? Help -> Indexing Status

Does disabling any third party packages help? i.e. maybe it is related to certain syntax definitions or something?

0 Likes