Sublime Forum

How to get paragraph spacing?

I’m looking to get some padding at the end of paragraphs (after carriage returns). I know there line padding top and bottom, but that’s not what I’m looking for. I’d like lines to be normally spaced (no padding) but then be padded between paragraphs to make them more distinct from each other, especially for when I’m just working on notes or outlines (I like to select whole paragraphs by clicking to the left and then moving them around with Ctrl+Shift+up or down). Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,
Kensai

0 Likes

Nobody? You’re telling me there no undocumented command I can add to the preferences that can give me some bottom padding to my paragraphs? Oh well, back to hunting tools rather than getting work done, again.

Kensai

0 Likes

I’d venture to say that Sublime is a text editor, and it sounds like you are looking for a word processor.

All things considered, couldn’t you just add a blank line between paragraphs?

0 Likes

I’m not looking to format the paragraphs, per se. I am looking for an easy way to delineate blocks of text from each other so that I can move them using Ctrl+Shift+ up or down. I want to be able to quickly and clearly see what the other blocks of text are so that I can very efficiently reorder the blocks.

Now I admit, I’m just working with prose, not coding, and generally I work with text editors like WriteMonkey or Q10 for what I do, both of which offer controls for paragraph spacing (not line spacing, mind you; just talking about putting some blank space between paragraphs, not individual lines; ST already has that in the preferences), but neither of them allow for the very easy movement of paragraphs that ST does (the Ctrl+Shift technique, if you’ve not tried it, allows you to move the paragraph your cursor is in without need of actually selecting the paragraph). Now some other apps like MS Word (yikes!) or Open Office Writer (yuck!) offer similar functionality, but I haven’t used either of those willingly for about 2 years now, and I write a very great deal (two novels, a novella, half a dozen bits and pieces, 60+ blog posts in just that time). I really need all the help I can get, and ST has provided some so far. Just looking for a bit more if there’s a simple fix like adding a line to the preferences, some function that I’ve not found documented yet.

Kensai

0 Likes

There aren’t any options for this presently, no. I’ll add it to the TODO list, but there’s a lot of items on the list that have to take a higher priority.

0 Likes

Thanks, big guy. Can’t ask for more. Just had to check if maybe there was something undocumented or buried, especially since I’m not a coder of any sort.

Kensai

0 Likes

I wonder has paragraph spacing been implemented to the moment?

0 Likes

Hi!

1. Selected all text
  2. Ctrl + Shift + L
  3. Ctrl + Enter

Hope this helps!

0 Likes