Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Behaviour after closing a tab and placement of close button

Behaviour after closing a tab and placement of close button

Postby gorg on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:22 pm

Why after closing a tab the active one is the left neighbour instead of the last active one? Who changed this and why? And how do I change it?

Also, why the close tab widget is on the wrong (right) hand side of the tab instead of the left?
gorg

Re: Behaviour after closing a tab and placement of close button

Postby gorg on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:02 pm

Regarding the close tab behaviour, I found also this thread:

http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15074

I tried facelessuser's TabsExtra plugin where there is an option

Code: Select all
"fallback_focus": "last_active"

but it didn't work in Linux. I will try it in MacOSX too. Haven't checked the source code yet. Anyway, even in theory, facelessuser writes that it wouldn't override the event of physically pressing the close (X) button. It's annoying and dissapointing. Sublime Text should be about configurability; working effectively with multiple files is crucial for many users.
gorg

Postby gorg on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm

OK, tried again and it worked both in Linux and MacOSX. Using the shortcut, not by mouse pressing the close button.

The issue about the placement of the close button remains. I don't know if there is a setting to change it in the general preferences or a theme that can be used.
gorg

Postby facelessuser on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 pm

TabsExtra cannot replace the tab "button" command because it is called directly without going through the Python API. I cannot override the tab close button unless Jon redirects it through the API like the menu options. I personally disable the tab close buttons in my theme and just use the tab context menu to close files now. Just thought I'd throw that out there for what its worth.

I do not know of any way to put the close buttons in a different location.
facelessuser

Postby facelessuser on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:29 am

There might be a way to pull it off, but I will need to experiment.
facelessuser

Postby gorg on Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:54 am

facelessuser wrote:There might be a way to pull it off, but I will need to experiment.

That would be great !
gorg

Postby gorg on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:01 am

facelessuser wrote:TabsExtra cannot replace the tab "button" command because it is called directly without going through the Python API. I cannot override the tab close button unless Jon redirects it through the API like the menu options. I personally disable the tab close buttons in my theme and just use the tab context menu to close files now. Just thought I'd throw that out there for what its worth.

I do not know of any way to put the close buttons in a different location.

Thanks for the answer.

There is no problem when I am working on the desktop as I usually have a multibutton mouse (I always program one of the buttons as ctrl+w in Linux or cmd+w in Mac) and also pressing a middle mouse button is never a problem when I want to selectively close tabs (without having to activate them first). But when I am on the go with just my laptop I would prefer to have the flexibility of using the close tab button/widget.
gorg

Postby gorg on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:12 am

facelessuser wrote:I do not know of any way to put the close buttons in a different location.

:(

IMHO there is no reason why the close tab button shouldn't be by default at the left-hand-side for Macs, read from e.g. dconf/gsettings button layout in Linux, AND have the option of choosing whether to override the default in Sublime general settings for everyone.
gorg

Postby facelessuser on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:02 am

Added some hackery fu. TabsExtra should be able to predict when a close occurs outside of the API, so tab buttons should work now. Let me know if I inadvertently broke something else.
facelessuser

Postby gorg on Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks ! It's too late here so I will test it tomorrow. From a first view it seems to work but not if you rearrange (with the mouse) the tabs, it gets confused. I guess we can't have it all.
gorg

Next

Return to Technical Support