Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

SublimeText Organization at GitHub!

Re: SublimeText Organization at GitHub!

Postby tito on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:11 am

I think we should remove ST2 support from packages that are compatible with ST3, this way more people will really support this project by buying a license. What do you think?
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito

Postby FichteFoll on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:30 pm

I will not stop supporting ST2 until ST3 has a stable release - except when it's a real pain but that hasn't happened so far.
FichteFoll

Postby facelessuser on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Some time ago, I announced my support for ST2 would only carry to the release of ST3. When ST3 is offical, I will no longer be supporting ST2. Too much work. With that said, I think if I started getting donations to fund the plugins, I would continue supporting them. I've considered cutting off ST2 support before ST3 is official because of all the extra work, but I am a nice guy :).

Edit: I should state that the my plan is to move the ST2 versions to some archive. I don't plan on just deleting them, but no more bug fixes or enhancements etc.
facelessuser

Postby tito on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:11 am

I went ahead and just removed the ST2 version of most of the packages I maintain, god people confuse versions and mess installations; the same question in 1000 different forms again and again. :P
Give APIs, let the community build the rest!
https://github.com/titoBouzout
tito

Postby facelessuser on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:44 am

tito wrote: god people confuse versions and mess installations; the same question in 1000 different forms again and again. :P

Isn't that the truth. I envy you a little with just ditching your ST2 branches. I grow tired of the ST2 support...
facelessuser

Postby damccull on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:06 am

Doesn't the PackageControl plugin supply an online repository for all these things? It also has the benefit of installing them for you with simple in-editor commands...
damccull

Postby randy3k on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:32 am

I found that most compatibility issues of ST2 and ST3 are not related to the api, usually are related to python versions. Particular, I don't understand why ST2 use python 2.6....it would be much easier if it uses 2.7.
randy3k

Postby FichteFoll on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:16 am

damccull wrote:Doesn't the PackageControl plugin supply an online repository for all these things? It also has the benefit of installing them for you with simple in-editor commands...

Afaik the SublimeText org was before the Package Control days. Of course it doesn't make too much sense now that PC exists, but it is still useful if you want your package to be in the hands of skilled or dedicated people who know what they are doing (which I assume all members of the org are).

https://github.com/SublimeText/Open-Include is a good example for that.
FichteFoll

Previous

Return to Plugin Development