Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

User Prefs Repo

User Prefs Repo

Postby VertigoRay on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Anyone ever consider what it would take to make user prefs link to a git repo? Then sublime could use a git client to sync settings easily between machines. We're already using git for other packages, so I figured it'd be real easy to pass in a url for a settings repo.

Thoughts?
VertigoRay

Re: User Prefs Repo

Postby iamntz on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Why should i want to sync with you?
I like other theme, other font, other indentation, i even use different packages than you do...
iamntz

Postby facelessuser on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:44 pm

I think he means to sync your own settings with multiple machines that you own....(I think)...

If that is indeed what he means, than I the best option is to just make your User folder (not the packages folder, but just the User folder under Packages) a git repo. This is what I do.
facelessuser

Postby iamntz on Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:59 am

Ah!

If this is the case, i'm sorry for misunderstanding!

You can make your whole Packages folder a repo and use this gitignore to ignore anything but User folder: https://gist.github.com/edf3a873c3c4ca6fcd4e

Why this is better? Just imagine you want to override an existing package ;)
iamntz

Postby hitsuji on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:17 am

Personally I map the user prefs folder to Dropbox... so any changes are auto synced accross systems that way...
You can do similar with other tools such as owncloud or using rsync.
hitsuji

Postby rodnolan on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:49 pm

I like the dropbox and github ideas but I use SublimeText on Windows 7 and Mac OSX and I'm curious to know whether you might run into any conflicts by syncing preferences between different OSes. I'm mainly interested in keeping my plugins synced since I switch between Mac and Windows quite often so I can never tell which one I'll be on when I discover a new plugin. It'd be great to be able to install once from either computer and have that plugin installed on all others that I use.
rodnolan

Postby facelessuser on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:46 pm

rodnolan wrote:I like the dropbox and github ideas but I use SublimeText on Windows 7 and Mac OSX and I'm curious to know whether you might run into any conflicts by syncing preferences between different OSes.

Yes there can be some conflicts. Some plugins specifically allow a way to differentiate settings per OS, but many do not. I know there are possibly different solutions out there, but I use this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5840#p25515. Essentially it lets me target certain files I want to be OS specific, and I can back them up to OS specific folders. I sync the OS agnostic settings and the backed up OS specific files (not the original OS specific files). I won't go into all the details here, but the link I provided points you to a thread that can direct you to the plugin and a little more info on how I use it. Since it points the the settings file in my actual git User repo, you can look around and see how I set it up. I would look at the ST3 branch. I don't really use the ST2 main branch anymore. And like I said there are other solutions out there, so you don't have to take my suggestion, it is just what works for me.
facelessuser

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests