Sublime Forum

User Prefs Repo

Anyone ever consider what it would take to make user prefs link to a git repo? Then sublime could use a git client to sync settings easily between machines. We’re already using git for other packages, so I figured it’d be real easy to pass in a url for a settings repo.

Thoughts?

0 Likes

Why should i want to sync with you?
I like other theme, other font, other indentation, i even use different packages than you do…

0 Likes

I think he means to sync your own settings with multiple machines that you own…(I think)…

If that is indeed what he means, than I the best option is to just make your User folder (not the packages folder, but just the User folder under Packages) a git repo. This is what I do.

0 Likes

Ah!

If this is the case, i’m sorry for misunderstanding!

You can make your whole Packages folder a repo and use this gitignore to ignore anything but User folder: gist.github.com/edf3a873c3c4ca6fcd4e

Why this is better? Just imagine you want to override an existing package :wink:

0 Likes

Personally I map the user prefs folder to Dropbox… so any changes are auto synced accross systems that way…
You can do similar with other tools such as owncloud or using rsync.

0 Likes

I like the dropbox and github ideas but I use SublimeText on Windows 7 and Mac OSX and I’m curious to know whether you might run into any conflicts by syncing preferences between different OSes. I’m mainly interested in keeping my plugins synced since I switch between Mac and Windows quite often so I can never tell which one I’ll be on when I discover a new plugin. It’d be great to be able to install once from either computer and have that plugin installed on all others that I use.

0 Likes

Yes there can be some conflicts. Some plugins specifically allow a way to differentiate settings per OS, but many do not. I know there are possibly different solutions out there, but I use this viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5840#p25515. Essentially it lets me target certain files I want to be OS specific, and I can back them up to OS specific folders. I sync the OS agnostic settings and the backed up OS specific files (not the original OS specific files). I won’t go into all the details here, but the link I provided points you to a thread that can direct you to the plugin and a little more info on how I use it. Since it points the the settings file in my actual git User repo, you can look around and see how I set it up. I would look at the ST3 branch. I don’t really use the ST2 main branch anymore. And like I said there are other solutions out there, so you don’t have to take my suggestion, it is just what works for me.

0 Likes