Sublime Forum

Virtual sessions

So this is one thing I kind of hate when using Sublime. I normally have a project open with the various files in it I’m working with. I’m usually then hesitant to use Sublime for other things and usually open up another editor so I don’t have to mess with the files I have open or split the views.

I was thinking a cool feature would be some sort of virtual session management. Think having virtual desktops but in Sublime. You could swap between sessions and have different projects open and go back and forth without loosing what you were working on or cluttering the editor. I would LOVE this functionality and I’m not sure if I’ve seen it in any other editor.

Anyone know if this would be possible with a plug-in?

0 Likes

Group files as task sets

+1 for user-defined sessions, along with an API

It’s currently not easy to do with a plugin because of modified/unsaved files.

Until then, File->New Window is your friend

0 Likes

“File/New Window” doesn’t really fit. You get an empty window and have to rebuild the session from scratch. So it’s not my friend.

15 years I had an editor which saved the session just like sublime in session files. It was possible to name them and to select a session from a list. This was very simple and handy.

0 Likes

I made a simple plugin that, though not exactly like you pictured it, makes the overhead of changing projects a bit easier on the soul.

You can find it here: https://forum.sublimetext.com/t/project-sessions-plugin/920/1

0 Likes

This was just recently deployed, and has had good feedback. Give it a shot. It is exactly what you are looking for (I think). :wink:

0 Likes

I’m guessing you didn’t read his thread did you? :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

+1 request for this. Sublime text is very nice to remember open files/session when starting up, but would be VERY nice to support individual sessions per-project, so that when I open a project, I am right where I left off, with the correct files open. Almost all IDE’s support this, not the least of which would be Visual Studio – there is a workspace file saved for each project/solution which remembers opened files, etc.

0 Likes

I, for one, don’t work with the same files from session to session of the same project. This feature would annoy me if it was the default. I actually like to switch to a different project to copy an idea from into the current project I am working on. I use the MruProject plugin from GoogleCode to so this.

0 Likes

Pretty sure Sublime has “remember last files open” on by default, so I guess Sublime already annoys you?

For the most part the original feature suggestion was something different. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the concept of virtual windows, or virtual desktops, but that is more akin to the idea. You can have multiple desktop “views” with each having separate sets of windows and applications open. You can then swap between the different virtual desktops with keybinds as well as move opened windows and applications to other virtual desktops with keybinds as well.

The base of my idea was to implement THAT into Sublime it’s self. So instead of having virtual desktops with windows and applications open, you’d have virtual sessions per se, where each would have it’s own tabs and window settings (such as having a window split etc.). That way you could have different parts of your project open at the same time. You can then interact with which part you need to when you want, without having a large number of files open or having to constantly close and open large sets of files.

0 Likes