Sublime Forum

Open a new window from CLI does not always open a new window

I am on Windows 7 (64bits) and using Sublime 3. When I call sublime directly, I want it to open a new window (let’s call it new-window-1). And when I call it again right after that, I want it to open a new window too (let’s call it new-window-2). However, what happen the second time (yeah, I use the -n parameter), it put the focus on new-window-1 and new-window2 is therefore not created as expected. Can “new window” option does not try to be smart and simply “open a new window” each time as I request (while doing software development, I sometime call such behavior as “too smart”, unless it is configurable and someone believe the default is the best / most expected choice; most thing seem configurable in Sublime, so perhaps that is already achievable!).

So, is there a way to do what I want? Else, of course, if the developer(s) read that, it is a feature I think will be nice. Little detail, but little detail can make a different in user experience.

If you want a good example, take Chrome. If I call it 10 times in a row, I will get 10 new windows. Actually, the reason I recently fell in love with sublime is that I wanted a Chrome-like interface for taking notes (multitabs, multiwindows, autosave, session, etc.). If only I did know what Sublime was capable of before, I would not have lost so many “unsaved notepad”.

P.S. And yes, I know that if I type something in that window, that it will open a new window the next time, but I do not want to do that to open let’s say 3 windows from command line.

0 Likes