Sublime Forum

Sublime Text X 20100924

20100924 is out now, with a collection of improvements. Itā€™s still not much more usable for editing tasks - Iā€™m focusing of fleshing out the structure first. It should start to get more useful once the Python API is enabled (many editing commands, including ctrl+backspace and ctrl+delete rely on this), which Iā€™m currently expecting to happen after projects and session support, which are the next targets.

Thereā€™s a quick panel in this version, which can be used to switch between open buffers. It works differently to the one in Sublime Text: where as Sublime Text will filter items, X will both filter and reorder them. This makes it much nicer to work with on large projects, which youā€™ll get to see when projects are exposed in the near future. The quick panel itself is still a work in progress - most of the time so far has been spent ensuring that itā€™s fast on large projects (i.e., 50k+ files), and that the ranking gives high quality results.

As an aside, Iā€™m quite happy with the side bar and view resizing in this version - it has detents to help stop the resize at a nice spot (as long as youā€™re not moving the mouse quickly), and the resize areas can be double clicked to resize them directly to the detent.

0 Likes

Hello again.

The problem still persists with the Linux version.

Keys that do not work:
Arrow keys
Enter key
Delete
Backspace

Accented greek characters when in greek keyboard layout.

Please help

Regards,

Nick

0 Likes

Nick - yep, there are no changes to the Linux input handling code. For what itā€™s worth, those keys are working fine on my Linux box (Ubuntu 10.04 on a Thinkpad X40). Iā€™ll see what can be done.

0 Likes

Thanks a millionā€¦
Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu so that is weird.

0 Likes

Looks very interestingā€¦I canā€™t wait to see how things progress :smile:

Iā€™m not sure if you are taking suggestions / ideas, but I was thinking that it might be nice to have the possibility to filter the contents of the side bar (in the case when many files are open or when you only want to consider a subset of the open files). Maybe a keyboard shortcut could give focus to a input box at the top of the side bar and the contents of the side bar would be filtered in the same way as the quick panel (but without the sorting). This would be different than the ā€œSelect Bufferā€ option (using the quick panel) in that the filtered file list in the side bar would persist until the filter was cleared.

I imagine that you will be adding projects (maybe with the latest ā€œsessionā€ for that project) to the side panel as a separate top level node (at the same level as ā€œBuffersā€). If this is the case, I think it would be helpful to be able to filter the side bar contents, which would allow you to have a view of the matching files across multiple projects or sessions (including the current session).

Apologies if I have not articulated my ideas clearly.

0 Likes

jbjornson: I was originally considering implementing the quick panel entirely as filtering in the sidebar, but abandoned that in favour of the current approach, so that results could be ranked. I imagine it wouldnā€™t be unhandy to have filtering in the side bar in addition to the quick panel, but the quick panel would generally supersede any side bar filtering?

Actually, thereā€™s a good argument to be made for placing the current quick panel in the side bar directly, filtering results with ranking. Iā€™ll look into it again when project support is up and running.

0 Likes

Hello,

I tried running the software on Kubuntu 10.04 32bit and I got the same problems as with linux mint. (I run Kubuntu on a virual machine)

I also checked it with PCLinuxOS with all the latest updates (as it is a rolling disto I do not have a version number) and I got the following error:

./sublime_text: /usr/lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by ./sublime_text)
./sublime_text: symbol lookup error: ./sublime_text: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_FromWideChar

Regards,

Nick

0 Likes

I think the quick panel filter would have to supersede any side bar filtering. Maybe you could default the quick panel filter to be the same as any existing sidebar filter and allow the user to edit that filter.

0 Likes

How launch quick panel ?

0 Likes

oxman: You can open the quick panel via File/Select Buffer

0 Likes

Ok thanks :smile:

0 Likes

I created an alias to launch sublime X from bash on OSX, and it seems to try to open the file, but always complains that is canā€™t open the file format.

BTW, I was looking for where session information is stored along with packages, but canā€™t seem to find anything. I would assume they would go into ~/.sublimetextx or something similar? That is what most other editors/apps do configuration data on unixy systems.

Overall though, things are looking good. Glad to see the start of the QuickPanel! :wink:

0 Likes

The dot files are common on Linux/Unix. Although MacOSX is indeed a Unix system underneath, configuration files are usually stored somewhere in ~/Library or ~/Library/Application Data. That is for user settings. For all users you would follow /Library or /Library/Application Data. It is similar but still different enough. For unix application ports the normal ā€œdotā€ files are used (i.e. vim, emacs etc.), so in reality it is a mixture of both.

My 2 cents,

Nick

P.S. Please fix the problem on linux. :smile:

0 Likes

Greg: Can you show me the alias youā€™re using?

An Nick mentioned, data on OS X is stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text X, while on Linux itā€™s stored in ~/.Sublime Text X

0 Likes

Thanks for the help on the data location guys.

My alias (on OSX) is:

alias slt='open -a "Sublime Text X"'
0 Likes

Hello again.

I see that in ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text X/Packages/Default/Options there are the following files:

Default File Type.sublime-options
Linux File Type.sublime-options
MacOSX File Type.sublime-options

In the first file it is mentioned that the user should create the file User File Type.sublime-options to override the default values (which is the default behavior until SublimeText 1.4)
I tried that on MacOSX but it does not seem to override the values in MacOSX File Type.sublime-options (i.e. in its current state only the font)
Jon, should this be that way? Meaning that the same way that Default File Type.sublime-options will be ovewritten in a software update, I guess that the same will happen for the OS specific ones. So changing the options on the Mac specific options file will be valid until the next update.

Regards,

Nick

0 Likes

Greg: Opening files in that way isnā€™t hooked up under OS X yet, it will be in this weeks version though.

Nick: User File Type.sublime-options itā€™s currently used at all, despite the comment. Iā€™ll put it on the list of things to fix.

0 Likes

Iā€™ll be focusing on getting the key binding system up to speed in next weeks release, and Iā€™ll get that sorted at the same time. Not quite sure what form itā€™ll take, but perhaps just the ability to specify a priority number per-package, and sorting on that in preference to the package name.

0 Likes