Sublime Forum

Error When Updating: "DeleteFile failed; code 5"

I’m trying to update from build 2181 to v2.0.1 on Windows 7 64-bit. After downloading the .exe file and running the update wizard, I get this error about 1/3 of the way through:

I don’t have a license for the software yet, but I doubt that has anything to do with this. Any thoughts? Thanks!

0 Likes

I encountered the same problem and got the same message when I tried to update to 2.0.1.

I tried to delete the original version I had installed a few weeks earlier and could not do it.
I kept getting the following message.

“Error trying to parse settings: unexpected trailing characters in
C:\users\JohnC\appdata\roaming\sublimetext2\packages\user\preferences.sublime-sttings:5:1”

So now can’t open it and can’t update it.???

0 Likes

I have the exact same problem. Has anyone cleared this up yet?

0 Likes

Maybe try running the setup for 2.0.1 as administrator (right-click and select “Run as administrator”).

Error code 5 is “Access denied”.

0 Likes

Oh man i was sure I did this…
Running as administrator did the trick, both in fixing the error and in making me feel like a total noob…

0 Likes

Hi,
I’ve just run into this issue when updating from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 and it won’t go away when I run as administrator. Any hints?
Thanks, Caitlin.

0 Likes

[quote=“Caitelatte”]Hi,
I’ve just run into this issue when updating from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2 and it won’t go away when I run as administrator. Any hints?
Thanks, Caitlin.[/quote]

Same problem for me, even when I run the executable as Admin. Kind of annoying because I get the new version download prompt dozens of times a day. I have paid and am licensed.

0 Likes

I had this issue just today. I downloaded subl for Windows 64 bit, and I could not get it to install.

However, in my case, I decided to download from the standard windows links, which I assume is the 32 bit version. It downloaded and installed fine on my system, which is 64 bit. That may work as a fix, especially when running as the install as administrator.

0 Likes

Hi, in my situation i had already sublime installed so this is what I have done and it worked:

1. I uninstalled sublime.
  2. Deleted sublime installation folder from program files ( I had to use Unlocker because explorer was holding sublime … )
  3. Start new Installation of sublime with administrative rights.

Good luck

0 Likes

It might be because the process is running background.
Go to task manager and delete the background process and try to reinstall and it should work fine.

0 Likes