Sublime Forum

ST2|ST3: Aprosopo Theme

Thanks!

I thought it was a neat idea that I hadn’t seen anyone do yet, so I thought I would try it out.

0 Likes

• A number of light theme fixes and improvements have been added.
  • Some general theme tweaks.
  • Also, open files now show a generic file icon that is colored with the selected “dirty” color when the file is not saved.
  • New menu option to hide tab close button except on tab hover

See OP for update screenshots.

0 Likes

The light theme is still a bit off for me – and I don’t use dark themes – but I have a name to suggest.

Faceless, in Greek, is “Aprosopo” (απρόσωπο) – that’s the gender neutral form of the word.

Whaddya think?

Alex

0 Likes

Any suggestions? Accent colors too pastel? Dark buttons in the light theme no good? I don’t use light themes, I am slowly trying to make it more acceptable, but some feedback might help me get on track. I honestly haven’t put a lot of effort in the light theme, and some of my choices are based on laziness. The color scheme of accent colors don’t all work on a light back ground, so I left the buttons dark. I am personally thinking about switching the accent colors back to match the dark. I may reduce the light theme color options since only some of the colors work on the light background. Also, I may eventually re-style the dark elements to a lighter variant. It just requires time for me, I was originally hoping I could keep general things common between the dark and light theme (like I said, I don’t use light themes, so it wasn’t important to me), but as time goes on, I am slowly forcing myself to re-tool the light theme and and make it more different. I think it has improved, but I think my general feeling is aligned with yours.

I like it :smile:.

0 Likes

I think the big thing is I still need lighten up the dark elements. I am also still not satisfied with the folder icons…

But again, feedback is welcome. I am only trying to do the light theme for others, not myself. I will see what I can do over the next couple of weeks.

0 Likes

Been stuck at home taking care of injured family member, so I finished up the Light theme (for real this time):

• Stopped being lazy and finally updated and tweaked all light theme graphics and settings (generally much lighter feel)
  • Cleaned up folder icons
  • New Light Color Scheme (see screenshots)

Within the next week, I will rename the repo to Aprosopo (thanks quodlibet). This will cause the settings to all change. Sorry, but I did tell everyone the theme was in beta and subject to change.

Now is probably the time to give feed back on the light theme. I can’t promise how motivated I will be a week from now :wink:.

So here is the completed light theme compared to dark theme as well:

0 Likes

The more I stare at the light theme’s color palette the more I think it is too…spring. This may change. I am still experimenting with color schemes, but I think the overall UI look of the light theme is done.

I will look around for a decent light color scheme to use for the palette. Maybe I will just borrow the Tomorrow color palette (I did use the Tomorrow Eighties palette for the Dark). Light themes are so hard for me.

0 Likes

Theme has been renamed to Aprosopo. It must now be installed as Theme - Aprosopo. I know this may mess things up for people a bit, but once people change over, it won’t be renamed again.

Light color scheme is now a variant of Tomorrow Theme. It looks much better.

I decided to keep the Light UI colors though. I like most of them, and I have decided I am okay with some of them looking girly (light purple and red); I don’t have to use those, and some people might like them.

So I am done. For real :smile:.

0 Likes

I was about to write and say that my light color scheme kicks your light color scheme’s butt… but not quite :smile:

http://i1.minus.com/jofMHyNvBl8cv.png

In the screenshots I see some nice tweaks that I may plunder, such as changing the triple-quoted strings to resemble comments rather than strings.

Just so I know who to praise/blame, what is the extent of your modifications to the Tomorrow Morning theme? Are they limited to color tweaks, or have you modified the structure of the file?

(Which, in the time that it took me to write all this, I could have found out myself, but I didn’t know what my question was until I got to it :smile: )

0 Likes

In the meantime, I’ve kind of answered my own question.

I ported both Tomorrow and Base16 to Scsscheme, which allows me to plug them in and out of my existing framework (keeping the colors, etc.). I found that Tomorrow seems to have more sophisticated highlighting and that you’ve both appendend new scopes and emended existing ones.

Going through selector by selector should not be too much trouble… But I’ll shut up before I take this thread over the cliff entirely.

Alex

0 Likes

Basically, the themes have evolved. The dark scheme and light scheme share the same highlight palette as the original themes except for maybe background color s and tweaks to non highlight colors. I also have made cosmetic changes to things like python triple quote and other things, some things that only work with my personal language file edits (but they don’t adversely affect the default languages). I also added colors for some of my plugins etc. Though the highlight palette may be the same, not all the elements are guaranteed to highlight like the original Tomorrow schemes.

So in short, there are a number of differences, but none that change the overall feel of the schemes. Basically, I needed to include some kind of scheme with the themes, so I pulled from what I use. I haven’t used light themes in a while, so I did have to update the light theme to use the changes the dark version uses.

0 Likes

Thanks for the info!

I’m making good progress going through your theme and comparing it with the most recent version on the Tomorrow repo.

I am trying an abstract color scheme framework for Sublime using Sass, with the goal of decoupling the core selectors from syntaxes and plugins. (Mostly because I get a kick out of doing so, but also because maintaing tmThemes becomes an enormous headache very quickly.)

And looking at other people’s thoughtfully colbbled together schemes is very enlightening. (And kinda sad :smile: )

0 Likes

@quodlibet Your color scheme is pretty nice, I might check it out and play with it. It seems to look nice with my light theme too.

I imagine people who use light themes probably know or have created some really nice ones. My theme isn’t meant to force people to use my schemes, only to provide “something” in case they don’t have anything that pairs nice (and also to provide my personal themes for myself :wink: ). For instance, you don’t notice it with lots of themes, but when you pair Monokai (the default Sublime Color Scheme) with my dark theme, you see how yellow Monokai is, so it isn’t a real good default choice.

Though the light theme and dark themes are mostly gray neutral colors, they lean towards the “cool” end opposed the the “warm” end with a slightly bluish tint. Solarize Light and Dark seem to go pretty well with the light themes as do others. There are also a number of dark schemes that go good with the dark theme, but I am partial to mine.

I hope the light theme looks a lot better now to people. I feel the styling is consistent between the light and dark theme now but separates the two giving them a more appropriate feel for their intent. The only thing I plan to do moving forward is to redo those “find panel” icons. They work well enough, but I need to redraw them so they fit the style better. The problem is they work well enough, so my motivation to redo them is also low :smile:.

0 Likes

People who use light color schemes are nuts. If I didn’t spend more time writing words than code nowadays, I’d be using a dark theme as well. And if it wasn’t clear, I think your tweaked version of Tomorrow is rather good. For a light scheme :smile:

Alex

0 Likes

I LOVE this theme.
However, I just switched from faceless to Aprospo, and the tab close buttons are gone ?

In fact you can see on the first screen shots on the github page, they are gone there too.

Is there a setting? Am I doing something wrong?

Nevermind-- found it. :blush:

0 Likes

[quote=“Mr-Homer”]I LOVE this theme.
However, I just switched from faceless to Aprospo, and the tab close buttons are gone ?

In fact you can see on the first screen shots on the github page, they are gone there too.

Is there a setting? Am I doing something wrong?

Nevermind-- found it. [/quote]

Go to “Preferences->Package Settings->Theme - Aprosopo” Turn on “Show Tab Close Button” something like that. The reason you don’t see any in the screenshots is because I forgot to turn off “Hide Tab Close Button Except on Hover” which hides the button until I hover over the tab.

“Hide Tab Close Button Except on Hover” must be used in conjunction with “Show Tab Close Button” if you want the auto-hide functionality. Sorry for not making that clear. I need to update the readme.

0 Likes

FYI:

• Updated light find icons to have a little more contrast
  • Colorized tooltips

I made a request on Package Control as well, so hold tight if you want to install via Package Control.

0 Likes

Really nice theme, faceless. I just found your theme and Im thinking I shouldve visited this thread a long time ago.

0 Likes

Thanks!

0 Likes

Theme now on Package Control.

0 Likes