Sublime Forum

Encoding problem with SFTP and syncing folder

Hi all im new!

im trying to sync a folder with SFTP, but im getting this error:

and i tried commenting line 42:

"remote_encoding": "utf-8",

but i again i get the same error and im pretty sure it is the utf-8 case with me. what can i do in this situation? i tried almost everything i can think of and im getting out of ideas. i will be very thankful is someone can help me with this!

0 Likes

I have exact same problem (windows 8, 64-bit), trying to connect to normal FTP.
Same error with remote and server workflow.

0 Likes

bump

I’m sure there is someone who experienced similar issues, anyone?
screenshot:
imgur.com/YxLPTl6

0 Likes

I had the same issue and figured out how to fix it. In my case, I had a file with a name in Vietnamese on one of the ftp folders.

Whenever I switched folder in sftp to that folder I received the encoding popup error. To fix the issue, I added “remote_encoding”:“cp1258” to my sftp server settings file. “cp1258” is the encoding for Vietnamese.

You should try to use other ftp client software to see if you have files with names in other language and adjust your remote_encoding accordingly.

[code]{

“connect_timeout”: 30,
//“ftp_passive_mode”: true,
//“ssh_key_file”: “~/.ssh/id_rsa”,
//“sftp_flags”: “-F /path/to/ssh_config”,

//“preserve_modification_times”: false,
//“remote_time_offset_in_hours”: 0,

“remote_encoding”: “cp1258”

}[/code]

0 Likes

i am having the same issue. i am trying to connect to my website via sublime text 2 sftp on my new windows 8.1 laptop. i have connected to the same server with all the same options from both my work computer and my previous laptop. all my files are in standard english utf-8 encoding, but i get this nonsense error every time i try to establish the remote connection.

for some reason, the software thinks my remote files are in some strange encoding, but i have no evidence that it’s true, and none of the suggested encoding are working either.

i would really appreciate any help or info anyone could provide surrounding this issue. thanks.

0 Likes

Author of SFTP here. The only reason this error pops up is if there ends up being a decoding error while trying to use the encoding specified. If you are running into this issue, and you are sure you are using the correct encoding - check the filenames to see if any look abnormal at all. Sometimes it may be necessary to use an FTP program that plays a little more fast and loose with encodings, such as Filezilla, to fix a filename or two.

In the next major release I am hoping to improve the encoding handling in such a way that it will let you work with broken/incorrect encodings, however this requires some juggling behind the scenes to make things work properly even though something is amiss.

0 Likes

Thank you for this. It worked for me despite all other attempts. +1

0 Likes

I had a same problem and i resolved it through rename a file after found a accent on its name !

0 Likes

My problem was a file name like this one:

AcmeInc…pdf

The double periods caused the error when syncing Monthly.php

Hope that Helps
Regards
Francis.

0 Likes