Sublime Forum

Release cycle

Hi,

The development of this pretty editor has somewhat stalled lately …
What happens?

0 Likes

jeah, it would be nice to know whats up :smile:.

0 Likes

Yep, things have been slow.

My initial concept for project support was to have a fairly typical, visual studio style implementation, with a tree control on the left. Sublime Text is implemented with a custom GUI toolkit, and while it supports tree controls, it’s very basic support, and doesn’t have the features it really needs to if it’s going to become a core part of the editor. I’ve been looking into fleshing out the GUI toolkit, determining exactly how I want it to work.

Recently, however, I’ve changed tack in how I want project support to work. Tree controls really don’t belong in text editors: they encourage using the mouse to select files, and are generally fairly clunky to navigate via the keyboard. I’m going to try a more visually minimalist approach in Sublime Text, with only a list-filtering approach to opening files within a project. A slimmed down, pre-project support version, will be in the next beta, so you’ll be able to see what I’m getting at there.

This is somewhat indicative of where Sublime Text will be going in general: there’s going to be less in the way of GUI controls, and more of a trend to keyboard only support.

Next beta will be coming along soon, hopefully this weekend.

0 Likes

This is the way I’d like to see it go. If I have to touch the mouse, I’d like that to be considered a failure of the interface.

0 Likes

I’d like to have keyboard shortcuts for the search/replace panes.

i.e. when the replace pane is shown, pressing alt+a (or something like that) should do a replace all

And it would be nice to see those shortcuts in the tooltips

0 Likes

20080810 is out now, with a ‘quick panel’, which can be seen in action via ctrl+shift+o (select between currently open files) and ctrl+alt+shift+o (open a file in the current directory).

This is the same basic mechanism I’m planning on using for project support: once a project is setup, there will be another option to open a file within the current project. That’s mostly it for the planned UI support for projects.

There’s still mode I’d like to do on the quick panel itself, especially using a smarter way to filter results than just a plain substring match.

For plugin coders: The quick panel is exposed via python, using the new Window.showQuickPanel() method. You can see examples of it in use in Default/Select File.py

0 Likes

If it’s any help, I get an:

Assertion failed in .\quick_panel.cpp:140: m_selectedIndex == -1 || m_selectedIndex < static_cast(m_filteredList.size())

when I select something in the popup and then backspace delete characters from my search term.

0 Likes

otaku888 - thanks for letting me know, will fix for the next beta

0 Likes

Another little bug…

When I press ctrl+alt+shift+o and click on a file, it opens the file.
If I double-click on a file, it opens the file, but it also pops up the Open file dialog.

0 Likes