Sublime Forum

How to make Sublime more safe

Hi,
I just posted a problem about losing all my modified “contents”. I do not even want to think about how much works and “important” notes I have potentially lost.

Following this I was wondering if ST3 backup session info somewhere?

If not, like I have the feeling, any suggestion to make it more “safe” (I do not care if ST3 crash as long as it remember my windows settings AND MOSTLY its content – especially non-saved texts). It could be settings, plugins, using project/workspace (never really checked those features), external solutions (e.g. backup of certains files like Sublime.session or all Sublime folder, on a regular basis, like daily at least).

Thanks

0 Likes

You opened a thread about you opening a thread few minutes ago?
Why don’t you open another thread to point to this thread then? o.O

0 Likes

Yes it could’ve been put in the same place.

But one thread was mainly about my problem and hoping I can recover.

This thread’s goal is no matter the answer, to find solutions to make Sublime more safe proactively. I have the feeling there is no backup for the Session.sublime_session by default. :frowning: – I should edit a bit the description. I think (hope) any text editor would make sure data is safe. If program crash but data are all there, there is no real damage.

However, I see these files in my \AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Local:
Auto Save Session.sublime_session
Session.sublime_metrics
Session.sublime_session

So it actually has two session files… But probably no backup. :’(

0 Likes

You are using a version control system AND a back-up service? If yes, your problem is solved.

0 Likes

Did you ever considered, only for a second or so, that there are small, very small chances that there are some issues on your end? Yeah, i know, other editors works & co, but maybe there is a conflict with your other installed apps.

In 3-4 years since i started to use ST, if i count every data loss or restore backup caused by sublime i will get exactly zero.

0 Likes

Same here.

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]

Same here.

What’s the point of this anecdotal evidence? mickoz above lost data. So did I on one occasion. There’s a bug that needs to be fixed, no need to make excuses.[/quote]

What’s the point of your anecdotal evidence?

As iamntz said, the problem may be something bogus on the system where the data loss occurs. If you’ve lost data because an ill-behaved application corrupted Sublime’s internal data, it’s not a Sublime bug. Pointing out that other uses never encounter this problem ought to encourage you to dig around and see if there’s something on your system that’s causing this.

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]

Except it’s not, I can easily reproduce it with atomic save on (my data loss on real data happened once, I no longer use atomic save in production for this reason). I personally suspect it’s the same bug that causes lock errors on windows 64-bit, but hard to tell without the source…

And yes, support@sublimetext.com has received the receipt.[/quote]

Do you mind posting the steps to reproduce? Like others, I have never experienced data loss, and I’ve never disabled atomic save. I’d like to see if I can reproduce the error on my systems.

0 Likes

My anecdotical evidence is sustained by a bunch of other sublime users which i personaly know, plus other users on this forum.

About file locking: i also have this issue when i’m using grunt watch and sometimes (very, very rare, about once a day or less) saving fails and i have to save again. But considered that runing grunt sometimes fail as well because of file locking (without even having ST opened), i’m inclined to believe the problem is in another place.

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]

Except it’s not, I can easily reproduce it with atomic save on (my data loss on real data happened once, I no longer use atomic save in production for this reason). I personally suspect it’s the same bug that causes lock errors on windows 64-bit, but hard to tell without the source…

And yes, support@sublimetext.com has received the receipt.[/quote]

What’s the point of your anecdotal evidence? I’ve had bogus software that consistently produced bad effects in other software; the problem was the bogus software, not the software that actually failed.

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]

Which is not the case here.[/quote]

My mistake. Of course you’re right, since you say so.

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]

[quote=“pete340”]
My mistake. Of course you’re right, since you say so.[/quote]

No problem, everyone makes mistakes from time to time.[/quote]

I think his point was that we only have your word on it. I’d like to reiterate my request to have you post your steps to reproduce here. I personally would like to see if I can reproduce it on my systems, as I have never seen any data loss and have never disabled atomic saves. Please include your operating system version and what anti-virus program you have, as well as what version of Sublime Text you are using.

0 Likes

[quote=“ntenney”]

[quote=“eMarvin”]

No problem, everyone makes mistakes from time to time.

I think his point was that we only have your word on it. I’d like to reiterate my request to have you post your steps to reproduce here. I personally would like to see if I can reproduce it on my systems, as I have never seen any data loss and have never disabled atomic saves. Please include your operating system version and what anti-virus program you have, as well as what version of Sublime Text you are using.[/quote]

Don’t feed the troll.

0 Likes

[quote=“eMarvin”]
As for reproducing: I can more or less force this on two Win8 64, ssd machines with atomic save on. The loss is always preceded by the MoveEx error (win64 api locks presumably lingers and ST doesn’t check for that). Hence, a prerequisite to reproduce this bug is to get the locked error (which a few people have reported) which on two of my machines is very easy - just keep ctrl+s pressed for for a couple of seconds on a medium-sized file.

Anti-virus/backup/etc off during tests (one machine a clean win64 install with only sublime and clang installed)[/quote]

Thanks for getting back on this. Is it a C or C++ file that you see this on, or will it occur with any type of file? What is a “medium” file to you? A few hundred lines, a few thousand, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions? Which version of Sublime? Are you using any plugins in Sublime?

The reason I’m asking all this is, I’m on a windows 8.1 64 bit ultrabook (Lenovo yoga2 pro) with an ssd, 8 GB ram, and a core i7 processor, SublimeText 3 build 3062, no clang, but I do have mingw installed, Anti-virus running (avast). On this particular installation, I have Anaconda, Evernote, InsertDate, Keymaps, Markdown Preview, MarkdownEditing, PlainTasks, Predawn, Theme - Afterglow, Theme - Flatland, and Vintageous plugins installed. I generated a sublime-settings file that was 350k lines (copy and paste the default settings file into a new file multiple times), and pressed and held ctrl+s for more than 10 seconds and had no issue, so there may be something I’m missing in my set up.

Thanks again.

0 Likes