Sublime Forum

FTP/SCP Client Integration (NOT Remote Editing)

If you have ever used the TextMate/Transmit combo on Mac, you might know how effortless it can be to deal with a local/upload workflow.

I have used Webdrive, and currently use WinSCP, but I usually want/need to save/lint/test my files locally multiple times before they are uploaded to remote.

The idea is to set up a remote host in the FTP/SCP/Etc software, which has a local folder definition. The text editor provides a shortcut to “send” the current file (or folder) to the transfer client in one of two ways.

1. Send to the currently open FTP session if one exists.

2. Send to host based on the local folder definition, which uploads to the corresponding location on the host, creating directories if needed.

You can imagine the workflow something like the following:

1. Edit file

2. Save file

3. Lint [such as php -l or pychecker] (regularly)

4. Repeat of the above

5. Local test (web browser, unit tests, build, etc)

6. Upload via FTP/SCP

7. Remote test (web browser, unit tests, build, etc)

Each of these items would be a simple shortcut possibly with an extended option (such as upload to current host or use the ‘smarter’ feature to upload to the correct host based on local directory. As example, In textmate this would be by default ctrl-shift-f and then a 1, 2 or 3 depending on your intent.)

If such a thing is possible with Sublime and WinSCP or WS_FTP I’d much rather see that than any internal transfer support, and if it is somehow already available, please show me toward the path!

0 Likes

I have implemented a very similar plugin (Ceedling), when combined with my TortoiseSVN plugin that allows me to do what you’re talking about almost verbatim in C development using a few other open-source projects (Unity, CMock and Ceedling) for TDD development.

@gpfsmurf developed a plugin that uses WinSCP for FTP to accomplish basically what you are looking for!
bitbucket.org/gpfsmurf/winscp

Keep me posted on your efforts on this front!

0 Likes