Sublime Forum

Mouse Selection - I Cant Shorten a Simple Selection

Hi -

I must be a total retard. I love ST and have been using Text Editors my entire life.
However, I have never been confronted with a text editor which isn’t capable of of shortening a selection.

I.E… in the following Phrase:

Sublime Text Rocks

Imageine I drag from S (with mouse button held) to R to select Sublime Text R - and now let go of the mouse button.
The selection stays. I can extend the selection but I cannot shorten it.

Is this a “feature” or a bug.

Please Help :wink:

Morten

0 Likes

I’ve always considered this a bug, because all other editors I use allow shortening the selection if the Shift key is pressed. Even Notepad gets this right :smile:

While we all love Sublime, it’s no secret that it is also full of bugs and quirks, but nobody wants to talk about them it seems (the issue tracker is 10% of what it could’ve been if I could be arsed to submit bug reports…)

0 Likes

You can do it with the keyboard. Hold down Shift and then press the left-arrow key as needed to shorten the selection.

0 Likes

The OP knows that, and the question is specifically about shorting with the mouse.

0 Likes

Hi - and thanks for reporting…

Yes, I know I can do that with the arrow keys… But THAT my friend is mighty tedious when wanting to back-select 20 lines of 1000…

OK.

int textShorteningWithMouse = Bug;
if (textShorteningWithMouse == Bug) {
Sublime Crew == Please Fix ;
}

:wink:

0 Likes

[quote=“Morten Carlsen”]Hi - and thanks for reporting…

Yes, I know I can do that with the arrow keys… But THAT my friend is mighty tedious when wanting to back-select 20 lines of 1000…

OK.

}

:wink:[/quote]

Your code is buggy.

Sublime Crew == Please Fix would result in an equality check.

0 Likes

[quote=“jbrooksuk”]

[quote=“Morten Carlsen”]Hi - and thanks for reporting…

OK.

}

:wink:[/quote]

Your code is buggy.

Sublime Crew == Please Fix would result in an equality check.[/quote]

You are absolutely right… Now, perhaps you should wonder WHY I wrote it up as a bug…
In fact, my statement contains TWO bugs… Sublime Crew with a White Space in between would not fly either…
But I guess you already knew that :mrgreen:
And if we get real picky, I could, in some cases, even get a compile error for initializing the int while declaring it… Fortunately in most cases I would get away it…

0 Likes

You can shorten selections using the mouse by doing a subtractive selection: alt+drag on windows and linux, or command+shift+drag on osx.

0 Likes