Sublime Forum

Sidebar icons in themes

Thanks @buymeasoda!

I’ve changed it to be used as a child theme.
Instructions are in the latest commit comments.

0 Likes

Thanks for the theme update @buymeasoda and the child theme @pryley !

Is it possible to only have the folder icon without the arrow ?

0 Likes

How to show 3232 icons in sidebar? 1616 is too small to see clearly.

0 Likes

I hope I’m not pestering everyone by asking one more time (in case my previous post was overlooked in this thread).

Is anyone using one of the the existing older customized sidebar themes based on:
gist.github.com/olivierlacan/1857652

There are several forks based on this. My customized sidebar is also based off those sidebar sub-themes as well.

I’m simply looking for a single updated example Dark.sublime-theme file I can use that also overrides filetype icons.

I downloaded “soda-theme-master.zip” from the link provided in the below post; but, it looks like it’s not set up like the downloadable sidebar theme packages mentioned above. Hopefully, someone who has something similar to what I have will share their dark sidebar-override.sublime-theme file (or whatever they call it).

[quote=“pryley”]I like the specified by extension idea!

I’ve modified the Soda Light theme to support sidebar icons, and also created some custom icons based on Fugue and the Espresso icons.

Normal size:

Retina size:

http://i.imgur.com/jYD1M53.png[/quote]

0 Likes

[quote=“facelessuser”]Jon, another suggestion would be to allow sidebar icons to be specified by extension as well as scope. Scope is fine, but there are a number of file extensions that aren’t included by default in tmLanguage files. For this reason, plugins like ApplySyntax have popped up to analyze file extension and set the correct syntax for such files. It is a pain to have to update different tmLanguages to automatically get the correct syntax to open, so defining rules in one place with ApplySyntax, this becomes much less painful. But these file, (files whose syntax is set by an external plugin) don’t get the correct icon due to the post processing and setting of the file via an external plugin. Being able to just specify extensions would make this much easier.

For instance. I see you included a binary icon, but currently when a binary view loads, it loads hex data, but the syntax is plain text. Basically, it is impossible to detect binary files with the current system, which I am sure is why no files icons show up as binary. I am pretty sure you plan on using the binary list in the settings file to eventually target binary files, but it would be nice to have a similar functionality for all file type icons.[/quote]

I think so . BTW, a zip file is show up as binary which use the binary icon. Unexpectly, an exe file is not show up as binary.

0 Likes

[quote=“buymeasoda”]I’m a bit stuck with leveraging the new file icon functionality for Soda Theme. Is it possible to allow themes to define the folder where icons are loaded from within the theme context?

With Soda Theme, the light and dark versions of the theme are together, and normally this is fine for assets because their paths are specified in the theme files and kept in separate sub-directories.
[/quote]

One option is to place a do nothing ‘Soda Dark 3.sublime-theme’ file (i.e., only content should be an empty array: “]”) within the ‘Soda Dark’ folder, so the Soda Dark folder is considered as a candidate for the icon lookup locations, enabling you to place the file_type_default.png and friends there.

1 Like

I managed to theme the folders too, with:

// Sidebar folder closed { "class": "icon_folder", "layer0.texture": "User/Theme - Default/icons/folder.png", "layer0.opacity": 1.0, "content_margin": [8, 8] }, // Sidebar folder open { "class": "icon_folder", "parents": {"class": "tree_row", "attributes": "expanded"]}], "layer0.texture": "User/Theme - Default/icons/folder_open.png", }, ]

How can I target .erb files so I can add a icon too them ? I tried “source.rails”, “text.html.rails” but it’s not working.

0 Likes

So I have installed a vanilla “Soda - Theme”
I took facelessuser icons (thanks again), and create a dummy folder “Packages/Soda - Theme/icons/” and dropped the icons there. It works, Great! :smile:

0 Likes

If you want to add specif icons for specific filetypes you need to:

1. add the respective file_type_%desired file type here%.png and file_type_%desired file type%@2x.png (for retina) it in /package/Theme - %current theme name here%/icons/ folder (if Theme - themename folder does not exist create it yourself)
  2. create a new “Icon (%new file type here%).tmPreference” file and put it in either /package/user/ or /package/Theme - %current theme name here%/ forlder.
  3. in the newly created “Icon (%new file type here%)” file insert the following:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>scope</key>
    <string>%right scope for file type here%</string>
    <key>settings</key>
    <dict>
        <key>icon</key>
        <string>file_type_%new file type here%</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

For the scope of .erb fyles, it should be html.body.ruby, but you can find it both by:

1. looking in the color scheme or language definition files to see which scopes are used for highlight
  2. add { "keys": "ctrl+alt+shift+o"], "command": "show_scope_name" } to you user’s keybindings, create a new .erb fyle and trigger the command to display current scope in the bottom statusbar

hope it helps

0 Likes

[quote=“tito”]So I have installed a vanilla “Soda - Theme”
I took facelessuser icons (thanks again), and create a dummy folder “Packages/Soda - Theme/icons/” and dropped the icons there. It works, Great! :smile:[/quote]

No problem. The original post link is out dated, here is the updated link github.com/facelessuser/Aprosop … ster/icons for any one else who is desperate to replace the stock icons. They look much better now than they did at the time of the original post.

0 Likes

[quote=“Orlmente”]

If you want to add specif icons for specific filetypes you need to:

1. add the respective file_type_%desired file type here%.png and file_type_%desired file type%@2x.png (for retina) it in /package/Theme - %current theme name here%/icons/ folder (if Theme - themename folder does not exist create it yourself)
  2. create a new “Icon (%new file type here%).tmPreference” file and put it in either /package/user/ or /package/Theme - %current theme name here%/ forlder.
  3. in the newly created “Icon (%new file type here%)” file insert the following:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>scope</key>
    <string>%right scope for file type here%</string>
    <key>settings</key>
    <dict>
        <key>icon</key>
        <string>file_type_%new file type here%</string>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

For the scope of .erb fyles, it should be html.body.ruby, but you can find it both by:

1. looking in the color scheme or language definition files to see which scopes are used for highlight
  2. add { "keys": "ctrl+alt+shift+o"], "command": "show_scope_name" } to you user’s keybindings, create a new .erb fyle and trigger the command to display current scope in the bottom statusbar

hope it helps[/quote]

Thanks man, i added the scope too my ruby icon file string text.haml,source.rails,source.ruby,text.html.ruby

Worked like a boss!

0 Likes

to apply the new side bar icons i found 2 easy ways to do so

1-go to (Packages folder) make a folder call (Theme - Default) “you can name that folder to anything as ST use the empty sublime-theme file as a reference not the folder that contains it” ,drop your icons folder in there ,then create an empty file with the name of your currently applied theme.

|Packages |Theme - Default |icons |???.sublime-theme
*now everytime you apply a new theme just change the (???) to the theme name.

2-drop the icons folder in your theme folder ,right next to your (???.sublime-theme) file and the icons will be applied automatically.

.in both ways i found that i don’t need to change or add any lines to the theme files.
.if you want to use the default icons that came with the latest rev ,do the same as the first step & delete or rename the icons folder to something else.

.for specific type of language (css , less ,etc…) use the instructions made by facelessuser in p.2 ,and put the (???).tmPreferences file right next to the icons folder.

0 Likes

I’m using ST3 and can’t get this to work with the Default theme, or the Nexus theme. My user folder looks like this:

Packages/User
    |- Theme - Default
        |- icons (contains a py.png icon)
        |- py.tmPreferences (as described by facelessuser)
        |- Nexus.sublime-theme (blank)

Is this only workable for ST2 or am I missing something?

Edit: Ignore me, I see this is for dev builds!

0 Likes

This is so cool, I had no idea that we could do this for our rails application. Thanks!

0 Likes

Does anyone have a recommendation of an file icon pack that will work well with a dark theme (e.g. Soda Dark)? Something similar to Atom’s icons would be great.

0 Likes

For icons for Soda Dark, I recommend the ones in PreDawn github.com/jamiewilson/predawn, but watch out for how the transparency is handled. I’m not sure about Soda Dark but Predawn keeps them all at a reduced opacity until you select them, which acts as a nice highlighting effect

0 Likes

[quote=“brownoctober”]I’m using ST3 and can’t get this to work with the Default theme, or the Nexus theme. My user folder looks like this:

Packages/User
    |- Theme - Default
        |- icons (contains a py.png icon)
        |- py.tmPreferences (as described by facelessuser)
        |- Nexus.sublime-theme (blank)

Is this only workable for ST2 or am I missing something?

Edit: Ignore me, I see this is for dev builds![/quote]

Using 3065 here and I cannot figure this out. I’ve got the same structure that everyone keeps talking about but it just doesn’t work for me…

Packages/User
    |- Theme - Default
        |- icons (contains Aprosopo theme icons)
        |- Phoenix Dark.sublime-theme (blank)

Nothing happens. Can someone help?

0 Likes

Has anyone figured out how to get an icon for Symlinks?

0 Likes

I’ve tried everything I can think of, even disassembling Sublime didn’t help me - but I’m not a pro at that.

0 Likes

[quote=“Fatbat”]Using 3065 here and I cannot figure this out. I’ve got the same structure that everyone keeps talking about but it just doesn’t work for me…

Packages/User
    |- Theme - Default
        |- icons (contains Aprosopo theme icons)
        |- Phoenix Dark.sublime-theme (blank)

Nothing happens. Can someone help?[/quote]

From what I understand, you should put the “Theme - Default” folder into “Packages” and not “Packages/User”-

0 Likes