Sublime Forum

Unable to save -- I see no answers

I am running on Ubuntu 11.10 and Sublime Text. Unable to save, any fixes?

0 Likes

Same thing with me–though sometimes closing vs11 fixes the error (though at the time, it isn’t running in vs11). Love the tool but I can’t buy it if it makes me restart other applications randomly… :unamused:

0 Likes

Same here.

Couldn’t save for st. So I had to ‘Save As…’ once again and woila, it worked like a charm. After I did ‘Save As’, the regular CTRL S started working again without any hiccups. I was like, WOAH dude, that st worked?! And my brain was like, ‘F**k yeah son, what did you expect, I’m smart.’

0 Likes

Sometimes when downloading a file SFTP plugin seems to alter the file permission on the local copy.

Try right clicking on the file in your finder, click properties or informations and try to see if the permissions are set to “read only”, changing the permissions did the trick for me. :smiley:

0 Likes

I think I know the issue. Go to the file that your trying to save by right clicking and going to Properties. Click the security tab then click edit. You’ll see however users there are (one of them will be Security and one of them will most likely be the Administrator). Click on the one that is actually you (for instance let’s just say your username name was Robin). You would then go to the second window located under the user names, and check the Allow box right next to the text that says Full Control. You should now be able to save the file no problem

Edit: This is for Windows 7 users. I don’t know about Mac or Linux. I would suspect both probably have some way to alter what some users can and cannot do to a certain file.

0 Likes

I’m using Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I can confirm that Sublime v2.0.2 often can’t save ANY file so I have to restart the app (which is a pain in the a$$$$$). :angry:

Is there ANY workaround available? Man I hope this bug will be fixed ASAP because it’s really KILLING my workflow. I had to restart sublime more than 5 times during 30 minutes so I don’t know if I’m gonna use it again.

My plugins (maybe there is one which is the cause of this strange behaviour):

SublimeLint
SidebarEnhancements
Prefixr
BracketHighlighter
Emmet
Package Control
PHP Code Sniffer
Tag

Themes:

Flatland

Any help, please?

0 Likes

Thank you, this helped a lot!

0 Likes

[quote=“somewhatjaded”]Noticed that S2 couldn’t save when editing .html files on win7

I had S2, folder of files, and browser open.

fix: in file explorer folder window, hide the preview pane. This seems to unblock the process, and S2 can save just fine.

May also work in other (mac/*nix) OS.[/quote]

Doesn’t work on Mac OS X 10.6.8. I’m using ST2 2.0.2 and the bug is still there. I disabled the mini map and the *ucking bug is coming back again.

@Jon Skinner:
Please - if you have the time kill that nasty bug for us because it’s killing our workflow!!!

BTW: Some people claimed that when you click on ‘Save As’ it’d work. That’s complete bullshit. It doesn’t work. Not on a Mac (using ST2 2.0.2 (build 2221)). Period.

0 Likes

Update:

I uninstalled SublimeLint (didn’t work with STv2.0.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.8) AND installed Python v8 manually.

Since a week I didn’t encounter the bug any more. :astonished:

Maybe it was the missing Python library causing that very strange bug - who knows! :question:

0 Likes

I just had this problem on Windows 8.1
It was because the file I was trying to edit wasn’t mine
So I went to properties > security > advanced and change the owner to my own user
That did the trick

0 Likes

I am also have problems saving files on a Mac.

My solution was to close the application down and restart the application. It has nothing to do with permissions

This Must be a bug. How do you reports bugs to the developers.

0 Likes

Hello friends greetings to you all,
I also faced the same error while saving file in sublime text 2.
But fortunately i solved it.
You go to the path where you installed sublime text 2 and

1. Right click on the sublime_text 2.exe file.
  2. Go to its properties.
  3. Go to compatibility section under this.
  4. Set its privilege level to “Run this program as an administrator”.
  5. Now change settings for all users and there also check the field “Run this program as an administrator”.
  6. Apply the changes.
    your all set now.
0 Likes

Tried this still getting the error, Same as everyone else. Only working on abasic html file…

ST2 Windows 7 pro.

0 Likes

I found a fix, but it sucks to have to do manually.

If you go to a specific file and right click, then Get Info, there is a check box that is labelled “Locked.” You uncheck that, and sublime will let you save files again. But you have to do it manually for every single file in your directory, sucks pretty hard. I’m considering switching to another IDE just do work on this specific project that was handed to me with read-only restrictions.

0 Likes

I tried a few of the suggestions mentioned, all didn’t work for me, I had to save the file as a different name any particular reason why this happens, it seems at random ?

0 Likes

For me, I opened a file to edit and made some changes. While making those changes i renamed the folder. This confused sublime and resulted in this error. Simply hit save as and the problem is not an issue. (For anyone that renamed folders at least)

0 Likes

I shall try that next time it happens !

0 Likes

I found a way for mac. Instead of saving to your macintosh HD(or any mac hard drive) Hard drive, save it to downloads, documents, or any other folder. Remember to do save as.

0 Likes

part 2 of my tutorial, hope this helps:):

0 Likes

The problem is with windows / mac operating system. The folder is not closed and is being held as an “open” file and can’t be saved. if you close the containing window this should fix the problem. It’s annoying but it does work. --M

0 Likes