Sublime Forum

Sublime Text X 20101224

20101224 is out now, with a fair number of changes.

Firstly, the autocomplete UI has been reworked - the basic interaction now works as most applications do (type to narrow down the results, arrow keys + enter interact with the dialog), but it now uses similar fuzzy matching logic to the quick panel, so it’ll happily match using abbreviations, skip missing characters, etc.

Ctrl+P and Ctrl+Shift+O have been merged into a single list of files to match, which is now bound to Ctrl+P. The scoring function has also received some improvements, so the file you’re after is more like to be the first match - I’m very happy with how well it’s working.

If you’re still using Sublime Text over Sublime Text X, I’d be happy if you could let me know what is holding you back from moving. Personally, while I’m using Sublime Text X almost exclusively now, the biggest thing missing is find in files.

0 Likes

nice! I just made the switch…I’ll let you know how it goes.

First notes:

• overall, great!
  • still no hide menu bar? :frowning:
  • there seems to be 15 pixels or so of empty space between the mini-map and the scroll bar
  • I tried changing the font size in the default and user file preferences and it didn’t appear to do anything…it used to be instantaneous on save in sublime 1.3
0 Likes

Good catch, I’ll fix that for the next version.

Changes to files in the packages directory aren’t yet auto-detected like they are in Sublime Text 1.x, but they will be in the future. For the moment you have to restart after saving.

0 Likes

I find that I open most of my files with the Windows context menu. It would also be a nice new feature to open files up from commandline using wildcards like *.txt

Joshua

0 Likes

Being able to open traditional project files
HTML snippets not working it seems.
I haven’t tried ZenCoding or QuickHG yet but if those didn’t work that would stop me.
I do still love the old tab :wink:

Sublime X is looking great btw :smile:

0 Likes

I have had numerous problems, mainly in converting my Ceedling plugin/package over:

1. Can’t save/load a project files. FYI, I use the globbing feature of the project files quite a bit for scope narrowing.
  2. Build system doesn’t work yet. (my custom builder)
  3. I can’t get it to pick up my custom snippets.
  4. No output pane (for builds and general feedback)
  5. And yes, no Find in Files
  6. No package menus (for the point-and-clickey types and for binding references)

X is coming along great, but I really can’t switch over and give it some serious time until these features are available in X. Thanks for asking Jon, and hope you had a great Christmas… if that’s yer thing…

0 Likes

I’ve played around with Sublime X a little bit and it’s getting better quickly, but I personally miss working/understanding key maps. Conventions for file names seem to be different and I haven’t been able to make user-defined key bindings work.

Find in files would be nice to have soon too. And some other small things I didn’t think were so handy like controlling pane splitting with keys and such. I don’t use it that much, but when I need it, I miss it a lot.

Anyway, happy to see Sublime X is making progress and I’m eager to see next year’s first release!

0 Likes

In response to : “If you’re still using Sublime Text over Sublime Text X, I’d be happy if you could let me know what is holding you back from moving. Personally, while I’m using Sublime Text X almost exclusively now, the biggest thing missing is find in files.”

The reason for me not purchasing X is because :

• no trial version (personally, I don’t buy apps unless I KNOW they are good… hands on experience, etc)
  • screen shots (the current ones are too damn small; I don’t care in what OS, it doesn’t matter to me, just get some screen shots up)
  • list of features currently, in development, and soon to come
  • I have been requesting a file browser/project panel for sometime now… still don’t know if its been implemented
  • in addition to the file browser/project panel, I would like to browse the files with the arrow keys, rename, delete, and add files/folders
  • themes are nice, sometimes the default color theme isn’t what I want
  • that’s all I can think of right now off the top of my head… I am sure there will be more if I think more about it

Thanks

0 Likes

[quote=“sublimator”]

My ST setup isn’t exactly OOTB. I’m waiting for some nifty new feature/api to make it worthwhile porting my plugs / keymaps.[/quote]

Same here

0 Likes

Hello and merry Christmas!

I see two problems on the minimap:

a) In the light background themes there is incorrect colouring for the foreground on the minimap and being unable to hide it ATM it can be quite annoying.
b) There is a margin between the minimap and the vertical scrollbar. Does it serve a purpose?

Regards,

Nick

P.S. When are the “Hide minimap” and scroll minimap features be implemented?

0 Likes

1. Missing “Open Project”, “Recent Projects” and “Open Directory” options - these options are “must have” for me. It’s really useful to load large project with one click and then opening each file in it with “Open file in project” option.

2.Tabs with file names in old good Sublime looks much better than side bar in Sublime Text X (personally after starting sublime x I turned ugly side bar at once :smile:)

1. Where is vertical line separating mini-map from file content? This is not a serious problem but quite annoying.

Regards
elmer

0 Likes

I can sign under that too, plus I’ll add the project panel state memory. Opening a project folders (tree traversing) into a state where they were before the last closing of ST each time when I turn it on is quite annoying.

Next, I’d like better highlighting of brackets (not just the bottom border), and extending this to match the html/xml tags as well.

About the project panel: I’ve read here somewhere, that “Open file in project” should substitute this, and be more efficient, and I’ll definitely try that. However - I still can’t edit, rename…

Right now, I’m not using ST at all, but I’d fucking loved to! :slight_smile: From time to time I install the latest available version to see if it is already in state where I wouldn’t have to get used to anything, or do any compromises, and only these 3 issues are keeping me from buying the shit out of this awesome text editor, as I’m too used to them right now.

I was looking for something better for months now, cursing the Mac OS X for having Espresso, Coda, TextMate, etc., while there is nothing like that awesome for Windows. And when I stumbled upon this,… I’ve just thought my devil worshiping from last night finally worked.

So please, just keep up the awesome work. I’m sure that soon I’ll finally migrate to SublimeText, and my pursuit of happiness will be over. And don’t worry about my suggestions if they are not that requested as some others may be… I understand :slight_smile:

(PS: I know that there is a port of TextMate for windows called “e”, but it is not as awesome as Sublime, and there are project panel issues as well…)

0 Likes

When will I switch to another editor? When I see advantages using it.

Sublime Text X may reach this point in the near future. The progress is amazing.

This is my short list of important points that holds me back. (some of this points may not apply due to lack of documentation)

• I require a personal keyboard mapping, which survives updates and differs for file types.

• find in files is a must

• lack of documentation

• a tool to convert my 1.4 configuration to STX is missing

• side panel replaced buffer tabs

• Minimap has no frame anymore. The current background does not fit to my color scheme.

• To many features from St are missing.

The only thing I miss in 1.4 is the new code completion and maybe the new quick panel.

At last a wish: all configuration files should use the same language.

0 Likes

I’ve been using Sublime Text for a while, now, but haven’t switched to X yet. Mainly because of the Sidebar, which is annoying me when open by eating into screen estate much more than tabs, and confusing when closed (Ctrl-P does it for me, at the moment, though, so this one’s more a mini-annoyance). Much more so for the Minimap which I rarely use (I am one of those djb[1] disciples who keep their functions in separate files named after the function and have one huge include for all of them) and which eats even more screen estate.

A non-X related nit which I’ll have to pick one way or another is code completion in Lua files. Either I write my own syntax definition, hope for a better one, or despair and use a lesser editor (not really an option). Since we all here use Lua and I am the only Windows guy at the moment (not by choice, believe you me, but we write games and someone has to run the battery tests on this OS) maybe something will trickle down from the OS X guys.

Find in files is huge for me, but (see above) not so much a concern right now while I slave away on an Ansi C project. When it’s back to Lua and filling in the holes it’ll all be different.

Guess I’ll use X for a week or so and see what happens to my productivity :smile:

0 Likes

I just switched to using X for everything (20101230). Great job with the project handling - that’s really convenient.

The only things I miss:

• { doesn’t auto close the same way it used to (although **** does). It’s small, but it’s important.
  • Please add the ability to manipulate the project tree with the keyboard. Basic arrow keys to open and close stuff would be plenty.
  • Syntax highlighting settings, but I assume those are coming.

Thanks.

0 Likes

Though I assume it’s next on the list, considering the fact that you called it out specifically, I’d just like to put in another vote for Find in files: it’s I think the only reason I’m not using Sublime Text X right now.
Thanks!

0 Likes

[quote=“jhawk28”]I find that I open most of my files with the Windows context menu. It would also be a nice new feature to open files up from commandline using wildcards like *.txt

Joshua[/quote]

0 Likes

[quote=“davea”]

[quote=“jhawk28”]I find that I open most of my files with the Windows context menu. It would also be a nice new feature to open files up from commandline using wildcards like *.txt

Joshua[/quote]

I wouldn’t consider that too slow, if that’s what you were trying to say.

0 Likes