Sublime Forum

Sublime Text X 20101230

Awesome, Jon!

I noticed in order to create a project you just Add Folder To Project… and then Save Project As…? So no New Project item?

With key bindings working as expected, I can think of starting to migrate to Sublime X.

0 Likes

Thanks Jon - X is looking fantastic. The new project functionality works fine for me (Win 7 64bit).

I use Sublime for writing prose as well as code - looks like the only thing missing for me to migrate now is spell-check with F6. Hopefully on your to do list :wink:

0 Likes

Yeah… in a sense, you’re always working in a project, either the anonymous one that’s saved into the session, or one that’s saved to its own file. It helps to think of projects as just being workspaces or sessions that you can switch between. For example, you can happily have projects without any folders mounted in them, just with different sets of open files.

To put it another way, projects and folders in the side bar (which are accessible via ctrl+p) are more or less independent concepts, and you can happily have one without the other.

During development, projects were initially called workspaces, which perhaps better describes how they work, but I think that calling them projects is more appropriate, as that’s where they’re supposed to fit in in the workflow.

Yep, for sure!

0 Likes

Good to see several releases over this holiday period. Your dedication is admirable!

I was just writing this in the previous thread so I might as well put it here.

Let me preface this by saying I have not purchased yet. I came to Sublime just as X was announced. I decided to delay purchasing until I knew more about the upcoming version.

Part of my hesitation comes from the significant cost of a license (although the strong Aussie dollar atm is tempting). I also haven’t seen any word if repurchase is necessary when migrating from ST 1.4 to STX. Do you feel that STX will see an official “final” release in 2011?

What is the current development state of STX? So this is pre-alpha but how far along is it? There’s no clear indication of just how stable it is. Since it’s in active development, how much is subject to change and what bugs still exist that are potentially show-stopping? Which features are you planning to develop that aren’t available or ready to be showcased?

It’s these concerns I have about even making a purchase at this point.

Without having experienced it yet, the new project management sounds very encouraging as I find the current project pane very limiting. Is there anything else you can add that will make a decision easier and more informed?

0 Likes

Until this month, Sublime Text X was not usable as a day to day text editor, as too much functionality were missing. It was available as a pre-alpha preview to existing customers so that they could see what was happening. It was not available for evaluation, because it just wasn’t in a state where it could be reasonably evaluated. This is still true now, although the editor is much further along.

In short, no, I don’t think it makes any sense to purchase a license to Sublime Text if your interest is only for Sublime Text X. Wait until there’s a public version available and give that a spin first.

I’ll write a blog post about roadmaps etc when the public alpha is released. It shouldn’t be too long away.

0 Likes

[quote=“sublimator”]

Can you elaborate on this ?[/quote]

In short, keymaps work like they do in Sublime Text 1.x, where you can specify bindings across several different files, as long as they have the same base name.

There are two things I’m planning to add to this:

• Package level priority. Packages may optionally have a priority number associated with them, and they will be sorted by this before being sorted by name.
  • Specific overrides. This is a bit more vague that the above, but I’d like to put more intelligence in the merge process, so it’s possible to have one file remove or modify entries in another, rather than only appending new entries.
0 Likes

What about command line interface?

Asking this because I spend a lot of my time working with the command line, for executing commands related to the source I’m editing or committing the changes to the repository

For example, I’ve created a simple batch file to make current SublimeText launch the current directory as a project:

[code]@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL
SET STARTER=START “”
SET SUBLIME="%ProgramFiles%\Sublime Text\sublimetext.exe"
IF NOT EXIST %SUBLIME% (
SET SUBLIME="%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Sublime Text\sublimetext.exe"
)

IF “x%1x” == “xx” GOTO :NOFILE
SET CMD="%1"

REM Determine if supplied is a file or a folder
IF EXIST %CMD%*.* (
SET CMD="%~f1"
)
GOTO :RUN

:NOFILE
SET CMD=

:RUN
%STARTER% %SUBLIME% %CMD%
[/code]

This works with current Sublime, but not X. The drawback of current sublime is that is single windowed. Only one project can be opened. (Second window from File menu doesn’t count, as is kept in the session every time I left it open)

Any idea about adding command-line support?

Thank you.

0 Likes

Also, doc on API funcs now returns useful info. That’s pretty handy!

0 Likes

Yeah @subliminator, I use the ProjectMRU plugin extensively for non-X Sublime. Seems to make sense to fold something of that sort into the core, especially with the enhanced project/workspace stuff.

Although, I don’t really like the idea that a project file saves context as well. I would REALLY prefer for the state to be saved in a separate file, since sharing project files doesn’t seem to make sense anymore. Could this be broken up or at least have a switch to disable this Jon?

Personally, I really don’t give a shit about open buffers when switching between projects. I rarely edit the same file in my projects, because they are usually pretty large. Just using the QuickPanel is all I need. Although, I can understand that this may be useful in smaller projects.

BTW, has build support been added? I see there is plenty of build files for the different languages, but looks like they’ve been just carried over from Sublime 1.x without mods. i am guessing the Output Pane needs to be added for builds to be useful?

Thanks for adding project support though Jon!

0 Likes

Seems like its coming along well!

Been using it today (on windows), a few things I’d like to see but don’t yet:

1. When using ctrl-F to find, I would like the contents of the find text box to be selected so I can start typing the word I want to find immediately. Otherwise I have to delete whatever is there first. I think ST original works that way.

2. More highlighters soon? The highligher for .sublime-options doesn’t seem to work.

0 Likes

BUG REPORT. Windows XP 32-bit. Steps to repeat:

1. Open an existing file.
  2. Make some changes
  3. Close ST X without saving
  4. When prompted to save the file, press “Yes”
    • crash *
0 Likes

I’m probably not getting this right, but just to be sure. Does this mean, that X will have a separate licence? If I buy a SublimeText licence now, will I have to buy another one for the X version?

0 Likes

Full details are yet to be finalised, but at the very least all licenses purchased since Sublime Text X was announced will be eligible for a free upgrade.

0 Likes

A question about X’ mini display frame. Will it be possible to move this to the left side via some setting?

The way it is right now is a pain in the ass on a 1920x1200 or higher resolution. Given how Latin-based orthography languages go from left to right, your eyes are constantly moving left to right to correlate the editor frame with the mini display frame.

This is what made SublimeText so incredibly nice to use since it’s on the left side.

0 Likes

I heavily use a double vertical view and focusGroup and moveToGroup in my workflow … do you plan on supporting those anytime soon? Sublime X is looking pretty awesome!

0 Likes

The sidebar is ugly, its why i stay with the old tab version.
You should make the sidebar very beautiful, its the Sublime Text !

0 Likes

+1 for a dark side bar!

0 Likes

Personally, after getting used to the side bar instead of Tabs, it is much easier to see open buffers in the sidebar. Although, I think the best approach may be to add auto-hiding of the side bar and/or minimap so that they don’t get in the way of normal editing. I have to say I never use the minimap. Although it is ‘cool’, it really doesn’t buy me anything. I want to, at a minimum, be able to hide it altogether (like in non-X SublimeText).

That being said, I believe Jon’s plan is to add auto-hide the side bar already, so we just need to wait for that to get folded in… poke :wink:

0 Likes

does hide-tree option available in this version?

or when it will be included into the source?

0 Likes

[quote=“sublimator”]I tend to have a certain group of files always open, no matter what project I’m working on.

Is it possible if I have different ‘sessions’ of them at the same time I’ll have versioning issues? It’s possible I’ll lose changes if I forget to save any modifications stored only in the session?[/quote]

If you have the same files open, and modified, in multiple projects, then each project will have its own copy of the file. You wont lose changes, but it is possible to clobber them on save: Imagine having two projects, both with the same file open, and each having different unsaved changes. If you save the file with project A open, then switch to project B, then you won’t see the just saved changes, as you’ll still have the copy within project B visible. At this point, you can either hit undo, which will revert to the on disk version, or hit save, which will clobber the on disk version.

Storing all modified buffers centrally is possible (i.e., so if the one buffer is open in two projects, the contents will be mirrored), but I’m not entirely keen on this approach - it would mean unsaved changes to a file in one project spread to that file in every other project, which may also not be what you want.

0 Likes