Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Sublime Text X 20110117

Sublime Text X 20110117

Postby jps on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:32 am

It's that time of the week again - Sublime Text X 20110117 is available now.

The headlining feature is support for tabbed navigation. Currently, tabs are turned on by default, as is the side bar, but that may change in the future. There are still a few more things that need to be done (e.g., no right click menu yet), but in general I'm quite happy with them, especially the dragging functionality. Let me know what you think.

The other changes are fairly modest, but there is now support for customising how new windows look, thanks to the "new_window_settings" entry in Global.sublime-settings.
jps
Site Admin

Re: Sublime Text X 20110117

Postby jbjornson on Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:58 am

Fantastic, it's nice to have tabs again :-) The tabs look very good but it would be nice to be able to have the width of the tab expand to show the whole filename (or at least to a maximum width that is a bit larger). This would also require scrolling of the tabs since some of the tabs might get nudged off the screen.
Tabs.png
With descriptive filenames (or more than 7 or so tabs open), it is hard to tell what the filenames are
Tabs.png (4.51 KiB) Viewed 1667 times

Thanks also for the addition of clipboard access to the api.

You still forgot to include the dictionary, at least in the windows portable build (Language - English.sublime-package).

I'll give more feedback after using it for a while.

Thanks!
jbjornson

Postby jps on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 am

jbjornson wrote:You still forgot to include the dictionary, at least in the windows portable build (Language - English.sublime-package).

That's deliberately not included, as spell checking isn't supported in the GUI yet. I hope to address some of the 1.x spell checking flaws (i.e., working only with ASCII) when I get around to doing spell checking in X.
jps
Site Admin

Postby jbjornson on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 am

For what it's worth, when I manually add the dictionary the spellcheck works well.
jbjornson

Postby schmiidt on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 am

Thank you for the tabs :-) Sublime is looking better than ever.

Have you thought about using YAML instead of JSON? YAML reads far better than JSON, in my opinion, because it does not require the same amount of quoting, which really makes it a pain to read JSON. I have been using YAML to describe build configurations and data models and I love the low syntactic overhead imposed by YAML compared to other formats. PyYAML with LibYAML bindings is a nice and fast YAML parser if you are using Python.

Thanks for your all hard work.
schmiidt

Postby jps on Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:12 am

schmiidt wrote:Have you thought about using YAML instead of JSON?

I initially looked at YAML, and while it can be nice and readable, it's a lot more complex than JSON (even to the point of including JSON as a subset). Anyone not familiar with JSON should be able to pick it up by just looking at an example, but I don't think the same can be said for YAML, especially in some of the more esoteric areas.
jps
Site Admin

Postby marksteve on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:37 pm

I love how the vertical and horizontal tabs animate in sync :)) X has just become the most aesthetically pleasing editor I've used. It's also the first editor I've ever bought ;)
marksteve

Postby BrettJay on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Really, really impressed with X so far, Jon, it's come a long way since the last alpha I downloaded, now most of the functionality missing from X that was present in 1.4 is here.

The only thing I'm really holding out for is tab completion (so typing p, and hitting tab, and getting an opening/closing tag <p></p>); as far as I can see, it's not present yet, then again, it's still an alpha.

I'm definitely going to monitor Sublime Text X progress a lot more closely.
BrettJay

Postby n00ge on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Jon, X is looking awesome. Some great updates recently. Any chance of getting a border around the active area in the mini map again? The border in the previous version helped a lot. If it's in already and is just a preference somewhere, let me know. Thanks.
http://twitter.com/n00ge
Sublime Text 3 dev builds | OS X 10.8.2 & Ubuntu 13.04
n00ge

Postby Cane on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:49 pm

@ jbjornson More like the tabs in FireFox? There you have two (three) arrows. Ass you add tabs and they no longer fit, an arrow will appear to the right. Clicking on it will show the next tab in line, that is beyond the edge of the screen. In doing so, an arrow to the left appears, making it possible to see the first tab, that disappeared when you clicked on the right arrow....
There is also an arrow, on the right side pointing down. Clicking on it, will show all tabs stacked downwards, after the last one that fit on the top. That way, you don't have to click multiple times to find the tab you are looking for. Just choose the one, and you are there.
Cane

Next

Return to General Discussion