Sublime Forum

Disabling autocomplete (directions aren't working)

I have a bunch of old hand-written HTML code that I work on and autocomplete is pretty annoying since it tries to close a bunch of unclosed but unimportant tags, e.g. .

Here’s what I tried:

1. Used the sublime.packages_path() command to find packages folder (in Windows)
  2. Navigated to …AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages\User, where indeed I see a bunch of settings files.
  3. Created an HTML.sublime-settings file which contains exactly the text:

{
“auto_complete”: false
}

This did nothing, so I decided to disable auto-complete altogether.
4. To do this, I edited …AppData\Roaming\Sublime Text 3\Packages\User\Preferences.sublime-settings, which now reads exactly:

{
“font_size”: 10,
“auto_complete”: false,
“ignored_packages”:

"Vintage"
]

}

This also did not stop autocomplete (even after restarting sublime)

1. Looked again at the official autocomplete page at sublimetext.com/docs/3/auto_complete.html. This suggests using “Preferences/File Settings - User”, but Under the preferences tab, there is no “File Settings - User” tab, only “Settings - User” – and that just takes me to that file I edited in step 4 (and I can see that it includes the show “auto-complete”: false line, with no apparent effect)
0 Likes

I’m having the same problem, but my issue is that when I get to the end of a line, it suggests all tags and when I press [ENTER], it inserts and A tag because that’s the first thing in the list.

At the end of a line, when I press enter, I want to go to a new line, obviously.

I tried disabling autocomplete in both the default and user preferences to no avail, even after restarting the application.

Thanks, in advance, for any help which can be provided.

0 Likes

It is also doing this when I try to tab out on a new line. What the heck?

It literally will create a string of empty A tags when I tab multiple times on an empty line.

0 Likes

Is there anybody out there?

0 Likes

Sounds like you’re using a plugin.

0 Likes

A plugin that suggests a tag before you even type a “<” symbol? I don’t even remember installing ANY plugin let alone one that would do something like that.

Check out the screenshot…

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ch7Jc3i7H8CtgsGGzUBCDiUTjoJO-JjZoJWD28xw8WF3=w568-h428-no

Sublime should not insert a suggestion when you close a tag. It should only do so when you start one with a “<”.

0 Likes

I found this Super Old thread from a Google search and it’s not clear if this was answered or figured out somewhere else, but given this was pretty high in the results for “turn off autocomplete sublime text 3” I figured it best to post here. I managed to figure this out and figured I should post the solution. I’m on 3, Build 3114 (from the Stable Channel).

You actually want to set “tab_completion”: false. Not “auto_complete”. The issue is you were setting the wrong directive in the settings file :slightly_smiling:

1 Like