Sublime Forum

How to install on Ubuntu?

I’m just getting started with Linux. Once I download the tar file, how do I install Sublime Text on Ubuntu? Do I need to run a certain command on the “sublime_text” file?

Thanks!

0 Likes

You should be able to just double click on the sublime_text executable

0 Likes

Related question (Linux noob here)…

I decompressed the downloaded file to my Downloads folder. I can run the executable with no problems, so far.

It seems the Downloads folder probably isn’t the best place to keep this though. Is there a folder analogous to “Applications” in Mac OS X where I should move this to?

If so, do I move the whole folder (including the PackageSetup.py and sublime_plugin.py files) to this location? Or just the executable?

Thanks very much in advance,
mb

0 Likes

[quote=“Maroonblazer”]Related question (Linux noob here)…

I decompressed the downloaded file to my Downloads folder. I can run the executable with no problems, so far.

It seems the Downloads folder probably isn’t the best place to keep this though. Is there a folder analogous to “Applications” in Mac OS X where I should move this to?

If so, do I move the whole folder (including the PackageSetup.py and sublime_plugin.py files) to this location? Or just the executable?

Thanks very much in advance,
mb[/quote]

For the long live of ubuntu and my development life, if’ve create folder /home/{name}/apps. It keeps large amount of “cross”-apps like Eclipse, Aptana, Sublime Text 2, bitcoin etc.
And i recommend you to create similar folder and unpack ST(with all files) in it. After this, just create Desktop icon for ~/apps/ST2/sublime_text OR run it from console(as most of geeks prefer).

0 Likes

how to install in backtrack 4?

0 Likes

How are you using Backtrack? Is it your primary OS, installed on a thumbdrive or the LiveCD?

0 Likes

Yes!, it was my Primary OS… and i installed it on my Hard Disk…

0 Likes

BUMP

0 Likes

From what I can tell BackTrack 4 is Ubuntu based so the information you are seeking should be the same information already posted in this thread. If you are getting an error please post it.

0 Likes

im done extracting the .tar.bz2 but when i use it… the application won’t show…

0 Likes

How are you “using” it? If you are opening it by clicking on the executable, try starting it from a terminal to see if you get any error messages. Just open a terminal and type the path to the sublime_text executable, wherever you extracted it.

0 Likes