Sublime Forum

Yay for more people

Before when I click on the View new posts link, there would be 4-5 posts listed (one of which would be a new release ;D).
It’s only today that I’ve clicked that link and see more than ten posts. Seems like more people have been checking ST out.
I’d like to make a few suggestions with re to this:

1. Bug/Issue Tracker
  2. Feedback/Feature request voting (Something like Dropbox’s Votebox)
  3. Home Page Redesign? I know Jon has a lot in his hands right now being the only developer so I think this should be held as a community event.
  4. Icon Redesign. I love the icon and all but it doesn’t speak much of the app’s purpose other than it focuses on simplicity.
    I think it should at least give the idea that Sublime Text is a “text editor”. Again I think the community would be happy to help with this.
  5. Official repo for plugins and a proper wiki

More power to ST and hi to the new guys trying out this wonderful piece of software.

0 Likes

as a new person looking at sublime again, it’s gorgeous. It is just so heartbreaking a gorgeous that I’m very sad to say I can’t use it. I’m disabled and use speech recognition. When you’re disabled, you need finer grained and different navigation and selection tools. For example, I need to be able to navigate by method, instance, individual arguments an argument list etc. those are also units I need for some programming by speech extensions I’m working on. Supersmart code awareness would be really wonderful.

another other wonderful thing would be the ability to do remote editing over ssh

If sublime is not that editor (and it’s really pretty), what editor is (and don’t say eclipse) :smile:

0 Likes

Oh yes, we need a bugracker. I prefer RedMine, because of its functionality.
So, if bugtracker will be available , we’ll can see all feature reguests, all bugs and can help to author.
Anyway, only one thing makes me afraid - closed sources. Maybe we need to make a survey or something else? Because we can lose this editor, if sources still be closed :frowning: Now, i’m working on one python-project and i need to make some gui-wizards, but i can’t do it on Sublime. But, if sources will be opened, i’ll can explore it and develop some gui functionality.
That all makes me unhappy :frowning:

0 Likes

I don’t believe it’s crucial to opensource ST. I believe Textmate is closed source but look at its success. Jon is providing us an API and I think that’s enough. :smile:

0 Likes

I’m afraid that it’s too hard to beat TM, Vim, Emacs or Eclipse(Aptana…). Too hard for one developer. Yes, we can create a some packages using API, but lets face it: most of current plugins for ST 1 are broken, abandoned, not supported anymore. I’m talking with some rich developers about alternatives and Sublime, but they said: “no, thx, community will come only if sources will available, otherwise - it will die”.
Opening of sources - great step, which can boost development and author popularity. But it’s harder, of cause.

Just don’t compare this case with TextMate or MSVS case. TextMate is older and when it come, it have no alternatives(vim? emacs? no, thx). Now it has great amount of plugins, functionality and fans. For beating this editors and most IDE’s, we need to “boost” development with powers of community, but not only in plugins part of dev.

0 Likes

I don’t doubt that Jon will keep it closed source.

Sure, openness has its advantages, but in the long run, closed source has worked for Jon and it would be stupid to open it for it to fail. Jon’s progress would be lost.

0 Likes

A note about the current addons/packages. The aren’t abandoned or neglected. They are completely functional on sublime text v1. Jon is working on rounding out the API for v2 before anybody can get too far with porting them. Textmates success was more about it’s ability to do anything via commands and snippets through an elegant interface. Itwas closed source. There is no demise anytime soon for sublime. I’m loving thefact that it is gaining traction so fast. Can’t wait to see how far it will be in just a month.

0 Likes