Sublime Forum

First time user - Some questions

Hi, I’m a long-time Komodo user trying Sublime for the first time. I freaking LOVE Komodo but it has some big annoyances and they show a lack of improvement over existing features.

I’m trying Sublime and already I have to give up on a lot of luxuries that Komodo has given it, primarily syntax checking and having a debugger at hand. I can live without the debugger, but syntax checking is pretty basic, any self-respecting IDE should support that or at least plan support for it.

So, couple questions I have (concerning the 2.0 alpha, I’m a Mac user)…

• Any plans for syntax checking?

• Any way of navigating the source? (a list of methods that I can easily jump to in a file) - The Minimap doesnt really work for this.

• When I do a “build” or a find, I get a popin at the bottom, which is fine, but there seems to be no simple way of hiding this when I’m done, how do I get rid of it?

• Is it technically possible to add new UI elements? I would like to build in code hints and xdebug integration at some point should I choose to make this my default IDE.

• Any way to automatically perform the build command upon file save?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions going forward, but those are the main ones for now.

I have to say I love the way the packages work, they are very accessible for new-comers and seem quite powerful at the same time. Looking forward to the 2.0 documentation to see what the possibilities are.

Thanks for your time.

0 Likes

Hi Naatan,

• Any plans for syntax checking? You can always write a plugin to do this. I’m planning on writing a JavaScript one some time, using output based on Google Closure Lint or JSLint.

• Any way of navigating the source? (a list of methods that I can easily jump to in a file) - The Minimap doesnt really work for this. Sublime Text 2 has a feature dubbed GoTo Anything
    , check out Ctrl+P (not print) if you’re using it.

• When I do a “build” or a find, I get a popin at the bottom, which is fine, but there seems to be no simple way of hiding this when I’m done, how do I get rid of it? Press Esc

• Is it technically possible to add new UI elements? I would like to build in code hints and xdebug integration at some point should I choose to make this my default IDE. I believe the console is the only way at the moment. Sadly it’s a feature I miss too.

• Any way to automatically perform the build command upon file save? This has been asked many times, and IIRC, you can bind the build function to the Ctrl+S modifiers.

Hope that cleared some things up :smile:

James

0 Likes

Press Ctrl+r (on Windows, presumably Cmd+r on OSX).

Press Esc.

Make a script that saves and builds and bind ctrl+s to that. Personally, I prefer leaving the default save alone and binding save + build to a different shortcut (F7 for me).

0 Likes

You can also write a plugin that listens for on_post_save and builds then.

0 Likes

Thanks for your answers guys, appreciate it. Bit disappointed we can’t add UI elements. Hopefully the 2.0 documentation will show us a way.

0 Likes