Sublime Forum

Sublime Text 2 20110203

There’s a new version of Sublime Text 2 out, 20110203, with a fair number of changes. This fixes all crash bugs I’m aware of, so please let me know if/when you run into more.

Some of the feature highlights are:

• Tabs have a context menu, with options to close the current tab, tabs to the right, or all other tabs. There is still no context menu for the sidebar, but it is on the todo list.

• Sub-word movement, for moving through WordsLikeThis and like_this_too. This is bound to Ctrl+Arrow keys on OS X, and Alt+Arrow keys on Windows and Linux.

• Windows and Linux can now switch to tabs by index, bound to Alt+. On OS X the same thing can be done by Command+. There’s also a Switch File menu (under File), which contains a list of the different ways to switch between files, given there have been a few questions about this recently.

• Menu mnemonics are in, so you can press Alt+F,O to open, etc.

• Syntax definitions are loaded in the background. This improves startup time, as well as making Goto Anything smoother when previewing different types of files.

• There’s a new setting, “draw_minimap_border”, to do just that. The color of the border can be configured in the .tmTheme, as “minimapBorder”.

• The Linux build has received several improvements: the mouse cursor changes based on context (i.e., resize handles, and an i-beam when over text), running via a symlink works as expected, and remote files (e.g., SSH via GVFS) are shown in dialogs and work with drag and drop.

• More!

There’s still no auto-update yet, unfortunately, but I’ll try to get Sparkle integrated for the next build on OS X. I tried to make it happen for this weeks release, but ran out of time after fighting with it this afternoon.

UserEcho is looking like a success, and is responsible for draw_minimap_border making it into this weeks version.

The full list of changes is on the Sublime Text 2 page.

0 Likes

Awesome awesome :smiley:

0 Likes

Hi Jon,

thanks for this one. I just installed it and have a few problems:

• going to Preferences/Default file preferences and changing my fonts had no effect this time (Win7, 32 bits version).

• i’ve already submitted a bug concerning very long lines here on UserEcho http://goo.gl/G2jw4
    , but still have the issue. Maybe you didn’t have time to watch it ?

0 Likes

This was a deliberate chance, to bring windows in line with OS X and Linux. The font settings must be specified in the User File Preferences, as they’re overridden by the platform specific ones (e.g., Packages/Default/Base File (Windows).sublime-settings.

re: long lines, I haven’t had a chance to investigate it yet.

0 Likes

Thanks for the update. It’s great having the border back in and the alt+arrow keys to move through camelCase and under_score words is handy too.

0 Likes

Sorry, I wasn’t aware of the changes you made.
Is it also the case for other things like encoding or line endings ?
No problem for the very long lines, just take your time.

0 Likes

It only effects font_size, font_name, and scroll_past_end (OS X only).

In general though, you’re better off putting your settings in User File Preferences, so they don’t get overwritten when installing new versions.

0 Likes

The new “draw_minimap_border” isn’t exactly what I was expecting / hoping. Maybe I’m alone here, bit I had hoped that there would be a border around the whole minimap, not just the box highlighting the visible area…

0 Likes

Important note to those who use multiple layouts.

The modifiers have changed to Alt+Shift+[1-4] instead of just Alt+[1-4] as that now changes the current working tab.

0 Likes

The changelog says “OSX: Implemented scrollToBeginningOfDocument: and scrollToEndOfDocument” – does anyone have any tips on how to actually bind these?

0 Likes

These are the default Cocoa messages sent to an application when you press the home or end keys on OS X. Sublime Text 2 translates these messages into the scroll_to_bof and scroll_to_eof commands (defined in Packages/Default/scroll.py), which you can bind keys to explicitly if you wish.

0 Likes

Your comment makes me thing in a new settings option like “minimap_border_target” with the values “visible” (as currently works) “whole” (as you expected), “both” and “none”.

0 Likes

In earlier thread I mentioned my problem with “Add Folder to Project” option in Windows XP. In new alpha problem still exists but during my tests I got some more information. I think this option in Sublime 2 is much slower it was in Sublime 1. My project is quite large - but I tried to load only one directory into Sublime. This directory has about 500k of files inside (yes!) - php files are mixed with images, javascripts, .svn directories etc. To decrease number of files to load into sublime I added some exclude patterns - number of files to load decreased to 20k. There is a huge difference in such directory loading times into sublime - in Sublime 1 it takes about 1 minute (this is acceptable time for me) and in Sublime 2 I have to wait about 1 hour to complete this operation. And the worst is that during load operation you can’t load another folder into Sublime (message about import starting is displayed but nothing happens - it looks like Sublime is waiting for first operation to finish). It would be nice if sublime displayed some error message if previous folder load operation is still in progress.

What about this option performance? Can you confirm Sublime 2 is so much slower than Sublime 1?

Regards
elmer

0 Likes

I think a visible dividing line between the buffer are and the minimap is more what you were thinking? That’s what I was hoping for as well. If you are editing a short file, and one of the lines is long, it looks truncated at a point after the minimap ends. Because the minimap background colour is the same as the buffer background colour (at least in the scheme I’m using) it makes the truncated lines look kind of disconcerting.

Even the ability to specify a different background colour for the minimap would sort things here. Anything to keep them visually distinct.

0 Likes

There’s a surprise coming in the next version :slight_smile:

0 Likes

You da man!

0 Likes

[quote=“jps”]

There’s a surprise coming in the next version :smile:[/quote]

Themeing of the mini-map?

Man that would be awesome :stuck_out_tongue:

0 Likes

Directory scanning in Sublime Text 2 is generally more efficient that in Sublime Text 1, however in this case, not so much: the current behaviour is to first scan the directory tree, and then filter out the unwanted directories. The next version will filter out unwanted directories during the scan (as Sublime Text 1 does), which will fix the issues you’re seeing.

0 Likes