Sublime Forum

No main menu on Ubuntu netbook

Hi folks,

I just installed Sublime Text 2 2027 on my netbook running Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Edition. Everything seems to be fine, except that there is no main menu. Has anyone else seen this problem?

Greetings,
Jens

0 Likes

Me too. Same Ubuntu.

I’ve seen the Main Menu until I changed some settings. Since then it’s gone.

0 Likes

Is it because of unity? Does it have an issue in the latest dev builds of natty? The menu of sublime is completely missing?

0 Likes

I am runing desktop version of 11.04 (without Unity but with application menu on classic panel). I see Sublimes menu but it’s quite bugged.

You can try to disable application menu by starting Sublime with “env UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= sublime_text”.

0 Likes

Thanks for the detailed report deraen. The culprit turns out to be the global menu in 11.04 (and the netbook versions). It works by looking at each applications menu, then making a copy of it on the top panel, and hiding it in the window. However, because GTK wasn’t designed for this, it’s not able to do it properly, and doesn’t pickup new menu items added on the fly. This causes Sublime Text 2’s menu to disappear when the snippets load in and the menu is refreshed. I’ll add some workarounds to keep it happy in the next version.

0 Likes

Doesn’t work any better with 2033+.

0 Likes

My testing has been in 11.04, alpha 2. I was seeing the issues mentioned above there, but they were fixed for me as of 2033.

There were two specific problems:

• No global menu shown. Right clicking in an open file caused the menu to show up. The root cause of this was the global menu shim being unable to detect new menu items, so when the menu was refreshed after the snippets load, the menu disappeared. This was fixed by triggering the global menu to refresh in the same way that right clicking does.
  • Menu items displaying blank. Some menu items start off blank until they’re updated, which happens when the menu is first opened. With global menus, the application doesn’t receive notification when the menu is shown. This was fixed by updating the menu when the application loses focus.

Can you:

• Let me know the exact version you’re running, by checking in Help/About
  • Does the menu show up at all? If not, does it show up when you right click in a file?
  • Are menu items still blank? If so, can you press F10 in Sublime Text 2, and then let me know if they’re still blank?
0 Likes

• Menu shows up.
  • Items are blank, F10 doesn’t help but that might be because of my bindings. However after right click in a file, everything seems to be working.
0 Likes