Sublime Forum

OSX Path problem - can't use Make

Hi, I’m new to Sublime Text and Python, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I can’t get the make command to work at all.

I believe I’ve narrowed it down to the fact that Sublime Text doesn’t have the path set correctly, but I’m not sure how to fix that. Here’s an example of what I run…

import os
os.environ’PATH’].split(os.pathsep)
‘/usr/bin’, ‘/bin’, ‘/usr/sbin’, ‘/sbin’]

On my system make is located in /Xcode4/usr/bin. Make runs fine from the console and I have /Xcode/usr/bin in my /etc/paths file. Any clues? Is there a simple way to set the path variable inside Sublime?

0 Likes

Creating a build process and using PATH

Hi there,

as discussed in other threads before it’s “normal” 'cause Sublime normally gets started thru the Dock which doesn’t load your shell profile. In order to fix this I’ve written a cheap extension of the exec.py supplied with Sublime, which makes it possible to use an arbitrary script as a preloader. It’s not beautiful but it works for me in all ways. I’m also using it to load a proper virtualenv for my Python development, but that’s optional.
So if you like, grab my exec.py and put it into your Packages/User/ folder. A small howto can be found in the file header.

Grab the code here:
bitbucket.org/theblacklion/subl … ca/exec.py

Hope it helps,
Oktay.

0 Likes

Thanks, I figured it out. For anyone that has the same problem, you have to edit the path variable in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist which is where apps look for environment variables. Since I didn’t have the .MacOSX folder or that file I had to do the following in Terminal:

mkdir .MacOSX
cd .MacOSX
nano environment.plist

Then I typed the following in to set the PATH variable. Obviously, this will differ from person to person, but here’s what mine looks like now…

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> PATH /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Xcode4/usr/bin
0 Likes

Two comments (I was just burned by this J):

1. the environment.plist file is only read AT LOGIN. Therefore, after creating the file, you have to log out and log back in (no need to restart).

2. on MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard) and earlier versions, this file is read only if the app (i.e. ST2 in this case) is started from the Finder (or, I suppose, the Dock); it is NOT read if it is started from Spotlight. On MacOS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), this is not a problem: things work even if you run the app from Spotlight.

Just thought I’d share :smile:

0 Likes

Thanks for this. It has been sending me crazy!

Any news of a workaround as it’s not ideal that users have to edit this file.

0 Likes