Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

SublimeText Organization at GitHub!

SublimeText Organization at GitHub!

Postby guillermooo on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:35 am

There's a growing number of packages, plugins, themes, etc. for Sublime 2. While
the forum's a fine place to announce new cool stuff, an online repository seems to
be the best way of sharing all of these resources. That's what SublimeText is for!

Please note this new GitHub organization will only host Sublime 2-compatible
resources.

Naming Conventions for Repositories

In order to keep the organization tidy, we've come up with the following simple
rules for repo names:

- Use CamelCased repo names (that's what Sublime uses for packages too)
- Do not append version numbers or any other sort of identifier to the repo name

Examples:

Code: Select all
#Good:

MyAwesomeNewPackage

#Bad:

SomePackage-ST2
SomePackage1.0

Becoming a Member of the Organization

If you want to join the SublimeText organization at GitHub so that you can contribute packages, send an email to:

To: sublimetextorg@gmail.com
Subject: I want access to SublimeText on GitHub
Body: MyGitHubID

Mercurial Users

Don't panic! We'll provide instructions to set up Mercurial so you can work
seamlessly with GitHub. There's some work required to get this up and running,
but it seems to work pretty well. If you want to go ahead and try yourself now,
google "hg-git plugin".

Process for Moving an Existing Repo into the Organization

a) Simply request for it to be moved here.

b) Create the new repo in the organization. Update the origin remote and push the repo to its new home.

If you'd still like to keep a repo attached to your user account it would be advisable to delete the repo currently attached to your user account, and fork the repo in the organization to take its place. This way it will be more visible to people viewing repos in the org and you will be able to send pull requests along with all the other great things that come with forks.

Minimum Requirements for New Repos

New repos should include a .gitignore file with the following contents:

For people using Git:

*.pyc
*.cache
*.sublime-project

For people using Mercurial:

*.hgignore
*.hgtags
*.pyc
*.cache
*.sublime-project

Other entries can be added as desired but every repo in the org should contain at least the ones shown above.

Old Repository

Packages from the old Google Code repo will not be imported into the SublimeText
org. If you're a maintainer and you've ported one of these, though, just email the
address further up to get access to the org.

Needless to say, feedback's always welcome!
Last edited by guillermooo on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
guillermooo

Re: SublimeText Organization at GitHub!

Postby Marciano on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Awesome! I just forked my LaTeX plugin so it's now "in the organization". I also changed the name from the bad "LaTeX-ST2" to the good "LaTeXTools" (it can't be just LaTeX or it will conflict with the collection of snippets adn syntaxes tha comes with ST2).

If it's OK, I'll now work off of that and delete my private repo.
Marciano

Postby guillermooo on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:40 pm

I believe at some point it will make sense to upload all of the packages shipped with the editor to the org. That way they could be improved by the community, Jon would be able to include them in the next release, and the standard collection of packages would evolve faster. For instance, in your case, it seems that it'd be a good idea to include your stuff in the LaTeX package. For now, though, LaTeXTools should work just fine. We're still working out the details of the org, anyway...
guillermooo

Postby Marciano on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:04 am

I fully agree, but of course it's for Jon to decide. The LaTeXTools approach (add to the default facilities without interfering) is a bit awkward, but it gets the job done for now. These are exciting times for sure!
Marciano

Postby willi297 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:24 pm

Guillermo,

I have some stuff to contribute to the GitHub repo. Also, I would be willing to help manage the GitHub repo as well if you'd rather be focussing on the info site? Oh, and I need access to it! ;)

Lemme know...
Greg Williams
Atomic Embedded, USA
http://atomicembedded.com
willi297

Postby guillermooo on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:59 am

Hey Greg,

That's great! What's your username on GitHub? I don't have much time left for this, and Anomareh can't either, so it'd be very helpful to have more admins.
guillermooo

Postby willi297 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:38 am

If you want to join the SublimeText organization at GitHub so that you can contribute packages, send an email to:

To: sublimetextorg@gmail.com
Subject: I want access to SublimeText on GitHub
Body: MyGitHubID
Greg Williams
Atomic Embedded, USA
http://atomicembedded.com
willi297

Postby jbrooksuk on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:08 am

I've sent an email for me to join :)

I have a few plugins to get uploaded!
jbrooksuk

Postby charlesroper on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:37 pm

There may be another thread on this topic somewhere else, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

What are the protocols/best practises for incorporating individual commands (aka, plugins, extensions, etc.) into our own packages folder? There are a lot of new commands being developed (fantastic! So much more community involvement than there ever was with E) but they're popping up in a variety of ways such as individual repos, gists, zip downloads and the like.

What I'd like to know is, should we be encouraging people to include individual commands (such as wbond's excellent sublime_alignment, ajpalkovic's excellent new goodies and also dom111's plugins) in a broader package (say Text or Source or whatever) which is how Textmate is organised? Or is the flexibility and granularity of having commands (or small related suites of commands) in their own package preferred? I can see pros and cons in both approaches.

It would be great if some of these new commands could be placed in the community repo on Github and packaged up in a consistent, standard way, thereby (hopefully) encouraging forking and collaboration. As a great example, I really like how Will (wbond) has packed up sublime_alignment complete with a great readme and prebuilt keymaps. It just works.
charlesroper

Postby guillermooo on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:20 pm

That's something I've been thinking about for quite a while now, but I don't see any satisfactory solution... Without a proper package manager supporting versioning, name conflict resolution, etc., it's going to be a pretty messy arrangement whichever way you approach it. I don't know of any light-weight editor that sophisticated with this regard (maybe jEdit?).

In my view, Sublime would ideally be able to use the system's Python ---as opposed to an embedded one---, so packages could conceivably be managed through PyPI. I don't know whether this is technically possible, but since the infrastructure's in place already, it looks like the easiest solution to this problem. However, requiring users to download and install both Sublime and Python would raise the entry bar for many users, so it probably goes against Jon's priorities.

Creating a full new package for every plugin seems to be overkill. I think grouping small plugins in a "Plugins/Text/Source" package is the best way to go at the moment... Unfortunately, I don't think Mercurial or git (most plugins if not all are hosted either at Bitbucket or GitHub) let you clone single files from a repo. And I don't think anybody would like to blindly download all the plugins in the org.

So assuming this was the preferred way to deal with loose plugins, I see two compatible options:

1) We create a Plugins repo in the GitHub org off of which everyone can work
2) Plugin developers use the system that suits them best and provide a "Plugins.sublime-package" file for download. Sublime will copy the files to the Packages/Plugins folder on its own.

This won't solve any of the main problems, but at least there'd be a consistent way of obtaining plugins...

With regards to creating .sublime-package files, you might want to take a look at:

https://bitbucket.org/guillermooo/aaapa ... 0/setup.py

I put together a very hackish distutils command (spa) that will collect the files and create the ".sublime-package" for you. But the code might be considered a criminal offense in many countries.
guillermooo

Next

Return to Plugin Development