Sublime Forum

Linux Sublime update script

So I was getting tired of updating Sublime manually every time there was an update so I wrote this simple script to make it easier and figured I’d share it.

The usual warnings apply. Although everything should work fine, if you’re computer explodes I take no responsibility and you’re to use it at your own risk.

gist.github.com/894200

I recommend installing it to /usr/local/bin/subl-upd though it should run from anywhere fine.

It’s setup for 64 bit by default, uncomment line 5 for 32 bit. It installs Sublime to /opt/subl/pkg/, the downloaded archives are stored in /opt/subl/src/, and it makes Sublime available from the command line via subl.

List of commands: <ver#> - Update to the supplied version. example -> subl-upd 2053 clean - Removes all downloaded archives. remove - Removes Sublime completely. help - This output.
To update or roll back to a previous version just type ‘subl-upd <ver#>’ (e.g. ‘subl-upd 2053’). If the version was already downloaded it won’t redownload it. It’s convenient for easy rollbacks in case of a serious or annoying bug. ‘clean’ removes all the downloaded archives in /opt/subl/src/. ‘remove’ removes Sublime. It doesn’t touch config files. It only removes /opt/subl/ and /usr/local/bin/subl.

0 Likes

Libraries and conventions for plugins
How to update ST to 2.0.2 on Linux?

Thanks! this is a great script.
One very general question… I’m new to sublime so it might be trivial… all plugins seem to import sublime_plugin, and sublime. These are not in site_packages, and this script doesn’t put them there either. So no plugin works. What’s the convention for this? Or should we just add the /opt/subl folder to PYTHONPATH? Maybe I should ask in the plugin forum.

0 Likes

I think Sublime uses it’s own version of Python. (/opt/subl/pkg/lib/python26.zip if you installed with the script) Plugins are working just fine on my end. What errors do you get in the console (ctrl + `)? Maybe there is a permissions issue somewhere?

0 Likes