Sublime Forum

C syntax highlighting & PCBSD/FreeBSD

Hello all,
I just bought this editor, WOW what a great product! I just wish it had a few things to make it complete.

1. C syntax highlighting
  2. PCBSD/FreeBSD port. I don’t believe that porting it would be that hard, and am willing to tackle it if someone would like and with permission.

Thanks again for such a great product! Loving 2.0!

0 Likes

It should have C syntax highlighting… If you open a .c file it should highlight by default, and if it doesn’t you can go to View>Syntax>C.

0 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t realize that.
Would it be possible to port or would you be opposed for me to port this to PC-BSD?

0 Likes

Would it be alright if I were able to make this editor work with PCBSD?

0 Likes

It would be brilliant!

All the better :smile:

0 Likes

How possible do you think it would be for Sublime Text editor to have a FreeBSD port?

0 Likes

Unless he gets access to the source code, it’ll probably have to use the Linux emulator in FreeBSD.

0 Likes

I’m going to have a stab at making ST2 work in PC-BSD as well John. Won’t be a matter or urgency for me but the sooner the better as far as I’m concerned :smile:

0 Likes

There appear to be two paths to running SublimeText2 on FreeBSD.

1. A binary package could be created. Create a local port on a build box. After some rounds of compiling, installing, and testing, one could ‘make package’ and distribute the tarball.

2. The Linux emulator for FreeBSD (linux-base-f10) is out of date, but only one version (see below) behind what ST2 needs. The author could build with an older version of libc/libstdc++, or the linux-base-f10 maintainers could update the libraries.

$ ldd sublime_text 
sublime_text:
sublime_text: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by sublime_text)
sublime_text: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sublime_text)
sublime_text: exit status 1

$ strings /compat/linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10 | grep GLIBCXX
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6
GLIBCXX_3.4.7
GLIBCXX_3.4.8
GLIBCXX_3.4.9
GLIBCXX_3.4.10
GLIBCXX_FORCE_NEW
GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH

Either solution shouldn’t be too ambitious, though in my opinion, former would be the best solution since it follows the current idiom.

Either way, it’d make this licensed user a bit happier.

0 Likes

Any progress on the quest to have ST2 or ST3 running on a FreeBSD machine?

0 Likes

With st3 on freebsd 9.1.0, we seem to be a bit closer to home, but not there yet:

$ ldd sublime_text
sublime_text:
sublime_text: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by sublime_text)
sublime_text: exit status 1
$ strings /compat/linux/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10  | grep GLIBC_2
GLIBC_2.0
GLIBC_2.3
GLIBC_2.4
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.1.3
GLIBC_2.2

Maybe it would be possible for john to compile a Linux version that links to GLIBC_2.2 or GLIBC_2.1.3?

0 Likes

With st2/st3 on freebsd 9.2, does not work yet.

./sublime_text: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./sublime_text) ./sublime_text: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by ./sublime_text)
Hopefully for release a version for freebsd

0 Likes

I really hope to have sublime text on FreeBSD soon !
I can make test if needed.

Regards,

0 Likes

[quote=“johnrdavisjr”]Hello all,
I just bought this editor, WOW what a great product! I just wish it had a few things to make it complete.

1. C syntax highlighting
  2. PCBSD/FreeBSD port. I don’t believe that porting it would be that hard, and am willing to tackle it if someone would like and with permission.

Thanks again for such a great product! Loving 2.0![/quote]

+1 for a native FreeBSD port.

0 Likes