Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

New UI?

New UI?

Postby cal623 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:11 pm

I think the software can be improved by designing new UI
I think it is the time it should become a modern text editor :D

BTW, Sublime Text support Encoding the file soon?
I need to open some UTF-8 files but now I can't read it... :!:
cal623
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: New UI?

Postby JLikeF on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Any suggestions for how to improve?

There are a couple of topics with mockups viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1508 and viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1595

The main suggestion seems to be tabs on top!
JLikeF
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: New UI?

Postby cal623 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:20 pm

Tabs on top is important, I agree that, but I think the most important is the theme color, I don't like to write programs with a dark background, Do you like? :?:
BTW, I think light-weight is also required for this decade because most text editors only have few files and much smaller space. Should Sublime Text get slimmer? I believe it had to get lighter. :!:
cal623
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: New UI?

Postby qqq on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:36 am

JLikeF wrote:The main suggestion seems to be tabs on top!
Tabs are disastrous - it's true. And I would add scroll bars. Not that I use them often, but it would be good to know where they actually are.
ST2 Win7 64-bit
qqq
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 am

Re: New UI?

Postby gpfsmurf on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 am

cal623 wrote:Tabs on top is important, I agree that, but I think the most important is the theme color, I don't like to write programs with a dark background, Do you like? :?:
BTW, I think light-weight is also required for this decade because most text editors only have few files and much smaller space. Should Sublime Text get slimmer? I believe it had to get lighter. :!:

I like the dark theme.
You think you *see* Orz but Orz are not *light reflections*. :idea:
gpfsmurf
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: New UI?

Postby delucia on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Why tabs? just because everyone is doing tabs nowadays?!

The side bar has a list of active files and it's better than tabs because it can hold much more files without having trouble displaying their names.

Tabs are bad design to begin with. text is horizontal and it scales better if displayed vertically like on the side bar.

I say remove them. Keeping both options is not a good because it's not the sublime thing to do.

"There should be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it" - Zen of Python
delucia
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:29 am

Re: New UI?

Postby werchter on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 pm

delucia wrote:Why tabs? just because everyone is doing tabs nowadays?!

Yeah, actually that is a good reason. Because of the extensive use of tabs in browsers, users are familiar with using them.
Basing a design on familiar user interface elements sounds like good practice to me.
It's the same reason why you'd want to use TextMate snippets: why not use a popular concept?

Besides that, I just think the design of a new chrome-like tab interface posted earlier in this forum is awesome.
So a new UI is definitely number one on my wishlist.
This signature was hacked 1 time
werchter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: New UI?

Postby delucia on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:28 pm

werchter wrote:Because of the extensive use of tabs in browsers, users are familiar with using them.
Basing a design on familiar user interface elements sounds like good practice to me.

You're wrong. We shouldn't do things because they're popular but because they're the best thing to do. MS Word is a familiar UI why don't we do a ribbon in Sublime?
werchter wrote:Besides that, I just think the design of a new chrome-like tab interface posted earlier in this forum is awesome.
So a new UI is definitely number one on my wishlist.


Think about it. Chrome is a hit because it came up with an original design. Do you think it would've been there if it copied others? same argument goes for Textmate.

I'm must make clear that i'm not against borrowing ideas. Totally not. But I'm with applying only what makes absolute sense.

Look if Sublime is going to be like the 100+ text editors out there then what's the use?
delucia
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:29 am

Re: New UI?

Postby werchter on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm not saying it is a good idea to just blindly copy popular concepts from other applications. But if a concept is popular and can enhance the look & feel of an existing application, there is nothing against using it.
Even more so if there is no sensible argument against it. (I just don't think your arguments against tabs are particularly strong).

If you remove tabs, you need to have the sidebar visible at all times. And since sidebar takes a lot more space than the tab row, this would cause unnecessary clutter in the otherwise clean and minimalistic interface.
This signature was hacked 1 time
werchter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: New UI?

Postby tux. on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Seriously, Sublime Text has an individual design. That said, tabs on top are the worst UI nightmare of our decade. "Title bars" are meant to be used as draggable bars with informational text, not tabs, in them. Where to place the title then?
Image
tux.
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 am

Next

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests