Sublime Forum

Project Improvements

Hi there.

I’m a TextMate-convert (probationary, at least. Though I did buy a license to show support: I may end up going back on the mac and keeping Sublime for windows), and like what I’m seeing here: not least of which is the possible future dream of finally being able to use the same editor even when I need to be working in windows.

I have a couple suggestions to improve projects though (which is not to say that TM had them, mind you).

The first would be the ability to have a project be “cross-platform”: looking at the sublime-project file, basically what I think I’m asking for is for (as an option?) the paths to be stored relative to the location of the file. I.e., in my project it says:

"folders":
	{
		"mount_points":

"/C/projecthood/test/trunk"
		]
	},

If this is saved as “Test.sublime-project” in the test folder, then it’d be great if that could say “trunk” as a mount_point and find it. Then if I move the ‘test’ folder elsewhere – most importantly, if I check it into a repository and check it out on a different machine – it’ll still work.

The second suggestion I have is to build on the layered way your preferences work-- and allow projects to have a layer of their own. Meaning, instead of setting settings on a global, then user, then per-language basis, I’d really like to be able to set them on a ‘per-project, per-language’ basis: I have two projects in Python that I work on with different standards, for example. Being able to set one to the proper 4-space indent, and another to the painful 2-space indent, would be … sublime.

Finally! A preference such that dragging files onto the Sublime icon, or right-clicking and doing “Open with Sublime Text 2”, always creates a new window would be very, very welcome. I.e., to make those UI integrations behave as if one did “subl -n” instead of “subl” from the command line. It bugs me that these files get merged into my projects :smile:

Great work, though. :smile:

0 Likes

Looks like you mixed up the words “proper” and “painful” when you were talking about your indentation there… :smiley:

0 Likes

“Thus spake the Lord: Thou shalt indent with four spaces. No more, no less. Four shall be the number of spaces thou shalt indent, and the number of thy indenting shall be four. Eight shalt thou not indent, nor either indent thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to four. Tabs are right out.”

:smiley:

0 Likes