Sublime Forum

Unsaved changes in an unsaved project

I just added a folder to an unsaved project, made some changes, then without saving did a “Select Project” to switch to another project to look something up. I realized after doing so that my unsaved changes are probably gone, given that there’s no way to switch back to the previous project (that I could find).

I’d expect a dialog saving me from my own stupidity would be useful, but in the meantime, where do changes in unsaved projects go? Off into the ether, or into a .sublime-project in a temporary directory perchance?

0 Likes

I should have specified above: I’m using the alpha of Sublime 2 on a Mac.

Anyway, right after I posted this, I was poking around in my settings folder and found the Auto Save Session.sublime_session file, which contained all of my unsaved changes. So no data lost!

Does this autosaved session show up anywhere in the interface?

0 Likes

You can use ctrl+shift+p (on windows) to bring up a list of the most recent projects and should be able to select the previous project from there. Once you re-open the project, if there were unsaved changes to an open file, you will get the file in the same state it was in when you switched projects (the file will be dirty and you will see all of the unsaved changes you made). This works extremely well and I rely on this functionality on a daily basis.

0 Likes

Does the most recent projects list contain projects that you haven’t yet saved on Windows? Does it show up as ‘untitled’ or something? On the Mac, the list only contains projects I have saved at least once.

The reason for my post was that if I switch to a saved project from an unsaved one, there’s no prompt to save it, and then I can’t seem to find the unsaved one to switch back to via Cmd/Ctrl-shift-P.

0 Likes