Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

Dev Build 2055

Dev Build 2055

Postby jps on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:00 am

Dev Build 2055 is out now.

Tab completion has received an overhaul, and is now on by default. The changes are:

* It's no longer case sensitive. The ranking function takes case into account though, so it will prefer matches that match the case you input. e.g., 'sr' , 'SR', and 'sR' can all complete to different things, depending on what the candidates are.
* A tab can always be inserted by pressing the tab key twice. There is a downside to this, with regards to snippets: if you insert a snippet, then press tab immediately to traverse to the next field, the snippet will be reverted and a tab will be inserted. You can work around this by issuing another command between the two tabs, such as typing or pressing an arrow key. This behaviour can be removed by editing the key bindings.
* If pressing tab doesn't insert the completion you want it to, then you can press Ctrl+Space immediately afterwards, the completion will be backed out, and the auto complete window will be shown.
* Tab completion no longer makes use of the Ctrl+Space selection history. This means it won't learn what you want, but the tradeoff is more deterministic behaviour. The old behaviour was causing confusing completions to be inserted in some circumstances.

There are also a couple of frequently requested items in this build:

* There's now a global setting, remember_open_files, to have the last set of files not re-opened at startup.
* The disclosure buttons (i.e., the triangles) in the sidebar now have much bigger hit regions, making pressing them less error prone
jps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby atomi on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:19 am

First thing I've noticed so far is horizontal scrolling is no longer as smooth as it was in 2054.
atomi
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: Los Angeles CA US

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby bizoo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks for this new build Jon, case-insensitive completion and the new way to correct false completion is nice.

jps wrote:* A tab can always be inserted by pressing the tab key twice. There is a downside to this, with regards to snippets: if you insert a snippet, then press tab immediately to traverse to the next field, the snippet will be reverted and a tab will be inserted. You can work around this by issuing another command between the two tabs, such as typing or pressing an arrow key. This behaviour can be removed by editing the key bindings.

I've an issue with how it work, it look inconsistent:
If you create a new file (Text) and press the tab key, the first two keypress insert tab each time, but afterward you have to press tab 2 times to insert one tab.
Same when you type a word, press tab to insert a tab, but you have to press two times for the second tab to be inserted.

startup, version: 2055 windows x64 channel: dev
bizoo
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby bizoo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:14 am

And this issue from 2054 is still there:
The only strange behavior I've noticed is on the Goto Symbol or Goto Word panel:
-The focus is not on the right place when the panel open (highlighted item not in the visible part, you have to move with arrow up/down for the view to go to right place)
bizoo
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby qqq on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 am

jps wrote:There is a downside to this, with regards to snippets: if you insert a snippet, then press tab immediately to traverse to the next field, the snippet will be reverted and a tab will be inserted. You can work around this by issuing another command between the two tabs, such as typing or pressing an arrow key. This behaviour can be removed by editing the key bindings.

And how?

I use loads of multifield snippets and this killed them all. And for what? That some people had difficulties with inserting a tab. Thank you very much but I'd rather not have it.

I think the more natural behaviour would be allowing traversing a snipped with TAB as before and Ctrl+Z doing what pressing TAB for the 2nd time does now. If Ctrl+Z is pressed once you end up with what you typed plus a tab and if it is pressed twice only the original text remains.
ST2 Win7 64-bit
qqq
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby bizoo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:13 am

qqq wrote:I use loads of multifield snippets and this killed them all. And for what? That some people had difficulties with inserting a tab. Thank you very much but I'd rather not have it.

I think the more natural behaviour would be allowing traversing a snipped with TAB as before and Ctrl+Z doing what pressing TAB for the 2nd time does now. If Ctrl+Z is pressed once you end up with what you typed plus a tab and if it is pressed twice only the original text remains.

Maybe I'm wrong but it's only an issue if you don't type anything in the first field of the snippets, which is probably unusual.
Actually, I don't think there is a solution that make everyone happy. What Jon tried to achieve with tab completion look really hard to make it right in all case.

And as Jon as wrote, you could disable this behavior by editing this key bindings:
Code: Select all
   { "keys": ["tab"], "command": "replace_completion_with_tab", "context":
      [
         { "key": "last_command", "operator": "equal", "operand": "insert_best_completion" },
         { "key": "setting.tab_completion", "operator": "equal", "operand": true }
      ]
   },
bizoo
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby jps on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:20 am

bizoo wrote:If you create a new file (Text) and press the tab key, the first two keypress insert tab each time, but afterward you have to press tab 2 times to insert one tab.


It's not doing the right thing when insert_best_completion inserts a tab the first time around. I'll fix this for the next build.
jps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby qqq on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:22 am

bizoo wrote:it's only an issue if you don't type anything in the first field of the snippets, which is probably unusual.
I guess it all depends on one's viewpoint. I myself deem a situation when you want to enter a tab after some text higly unusual. On the other hand there are a lot of common snippets which have default values in some fields you don't often change. Example PHP:class, HTML:input.

How do you change this behaviour using your user key bindings file?
ST2 Win7 64-bit
qqq
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby jbrooksuk on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 am

qqq wrote:I guess it all depends on one's viewpoint. I myself deem a situation when you want to enter a tab after some text higly unusual.

I actually tabulate my PHP arrays and CSS to make sure it's visible what's doing what :)
jbrooksuk
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:37 am
Location: England

Re: Dev Build 2055

Postby qqq on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:35 am

Well, it takes all sorts :)

The only question that bothers me now is how do I change it so that I don't have to edit default key bindings on every build.
ST2 Win7 64-bit
qqq
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:49 am

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests