Sublime Forum

New User

When I was in Mac OS X I was a TextMate user. I’ve been on Windows 7 since it went into Beta and using UltraEdit.

I am always looking for “the ideal” editor for me (while they have their places I really don’t like environments like Eclipse and NetBeans), something light, powerful that does what I NEED it to do.

I downloaded 1.4, posted one question which was quickly answered (thank you) and have found this to be a very fine tool. Love the simplicity of editing the preference files, the project management, the elevated view, etc. It has everything that I used in UltraEdit with less of the clutter.

Just thought I’d offer some praises. :smiley:

0 Likes

Glad you like it, you may also want to give the alpha of version 2 a try - sublimetext.com/2

0 Likes

I have installed the alpha version as well. I like the open with integration.

I love the simplicity AND power of this editor. Very nice.

0 Likes

While we’re at it:
I am a Windows Sublimer now, too.

:sunglasses:

I like the UNIX “one tool, one purpose” philosophy, so I never really liked UltraEdit. (It also felt too sluggish and its pricing is not really affordable for poor students like me.)

While GVim is my “playground” and occasional IDE replacement, I’ve been using Notepad++ as my main editor for years. Anyway, it has had some serious bugs (crashes and stuff) in the recent versions, so I was testing editors again and again. The only things I “need” are tabs and syntax highlighting. Syntax highlighting is rather common, tabs are not (see Notepad2 or similar editors). Most editors which fulfilled these needs had disadvantages like their pricing (UE/SlickEdit), a weird UI (Zeus/Boxer), or just tasted like WTF? (e)

Then I found Sublime Text in some German blog, and a few days of testing convinced me to buy a license. :smile:
While it is probably not able to replace a “real” IDE (like SlickEdit would), it is surely one of the best text editors I have ever seen. For my random coding stuff at work it does a great job.

Thank you, Jon. :smile:

0 Likes

im a text editor "lover.

currently i have licenses of ultraedit/uestudio (lifetime), hippoedit, emeditor, editpad pro, e text editor… and some ides and compare tools too. (i cant live without is araxis merge.)

sublime editor its one of my favourites :smile:

0 Likes

[quote=“flamerz”]im a text editor "lover.

currently i have licenses of ultraedit/uestudio (lifetime), hippoedit, emeditor, editpad pro, e text editor… and some ides and compare tools too. (i cant live without is araxis merge.)

sublime editor its one of my favourites :smile:[/quote]

:smiley:

I have licenses for sublime, ue, e, hippoedit, myEclipse and I am sure I am forgetting something. I really like sublime on Windows.

0 Likes

It usually takes a lot to make me buy licenses. I know how to use teh interwebz.
That said: The only commercial text editors I own a license for are Windows Notepad, editor² (from xplorer²) and Sublime Text.

0 Likes