Sublime Forum

20090210 Beta

I’m interested in any feedback about a couple of things in 20090210:

Exit and preserve session. This saves the session in the same manner as auto save, and then exits without prompting. This means that all modifications to open files, and new files, will be restored when Sublime is opened next. This is something I find handy, I’d like to know if enough other people also like it to justify the use of a menu item.

Click to scroll in minimap. Clicking anywhere in the minimap will now scroll to that position - i.e., clicking on the middle of the minimap will scroll to half way through the file. I’d especially like to know if anyone finds this behaviour annoying.

0 Likes

The minimap stuff is something I actually missed!!! Maybe it would be nice if the orange box is centered to the mouse instead of on the bottom (was I clear enough?)

About the “preserve session”: I found it quite hidden, some day I could need it but had forgotten it. Maybe the prompt boxes (on Exit) would have a “preserve session” option.

0 Likes

regarding the session saving, finally i am not afraid to open few sublime windows, because after it crush and i restart sublime, as from this beta, all the windows pop back (actually sublime isn’t crushing, but sometimes i need to brutally terminate it if my remote network goes offline)

i wonder if there was another change, because since this beta, after i open my laptop (from sleep) the sublime editor is functional. before it was sometimes not waking up properly - showing blank screen (this was the 2nd scenario when i was brutally terminating sublime and restarting it).

anyway, i like this beta. jon, keep up the good work!

this is the best editor out there, in a league of its own.

0 Likes

I really like the idea of preserving files which haven’t got filenames. Very innovative and neat. Normally, the process of closing the editor consists of hitting close, then hitting cancel, then finding the scappy little buffers and manually closing them, and then trying to close the thing again. Bypassing this step seems like a great useability improvement.

I normally shut the editor down, instinctively, with Alt+F4, so I’d second the idea floating around that the close dialogue offered a “preserve” option, because then I’ll see the feature as part of normal shutdown. The fact that it uses a menu item is almost irrelevant to me; I don’t use the menu for anything needed so frequently. First step would be to put a keyboard accelerator on the keyboard so I can do Alt,F,R for File | pReserve, but I’ll still probably do this;

• Alt-F4 by instinct. Get the unsaved-files dialogue.
  • remember the preserve option
  • hit cancel
  • hit alt,f,p

I’m going to qualify all of that by saying that it’s a brand-new feature and I can’t say how much I use it until I use it. Seems like a great idea, though.

And lastly, once you’ve got the idea of persistent, unsaved buffers, then next step seems to be named buffers. In emacs, I might do this to get a new buffer;

• ctrl-x, b (new buffer command)
  • type “notes” to name the buffer, and hit ‘enter’
  • emacs now has an unsaved buffer named notes. That string “notes” is used when I hit Save as the suggested defaylt name.

Not a big minimap user. Doesn’t bother me either way.

0 Likes

I’m thirding this one. I much prefer the option of saving a session on shutdown to the chore having to go through and check if what I’m saving is correct before I can close it down.

0 Likes

Great to see some new development here; looks like you’re rediscovering your love of the Sublime. The minimap click navigation is much appreciated and the preserve session feature has already saved me.

0 Likes

I like the suggestion that preserve session should turn into a check box on the exit confirmation dialog. I won’t make the change immediately (it’s non-trivial, as it needs to be done differently in XP vs. Vista), but I will keep it in mind.

0 Likes