Home Download Buy Blog Forum Support

New UI?

Re: New UI?

Postby delucia on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 pm

werchter wrote:Even more so if there is no sensible argument against it. (I just don't think your arguments against tabs are particularly strong).

fair enough. I think my arguments are sensible and i will reiterate them here:

1. I think tabs are good for a web browser because width is important because of the way web pages are designed with side bars and three column content. This is not the case for text editors; especially those that are developer text editors like sublime, vim, emacs, because most of the code has restricted width. For text editors, hight is more important than width because you want to see the maximum code available, which a side bar accomodate without a problem. That's why you often see developers use vertical monitors for their coding display.

2. Tabs grow horizontally which means more tabs decrease the amount of space available for titles. A side bar doesn't suffer from this problem and can accomodate much more elements than tabs.

I think tabs were wrongly copied from web browsers to text editors.
delucia

Postby jbjornson on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:11 am

I honestly think this comes down to a question of preference, or personal taste. I am a developer and spend most of my day editing source code. Personally, I really like file tabs and absolutely dislike the sidebar (which is why it is hidden by default for me).

This is the exact opposite to your preferences. Simply put, some people like tabs, some people don't.

I think Jon has made a very reasonable compromise by making things customizable, allowing all of us to have SublimeText the we way we like it by setting a few simple preferences. If you don't like tabs, simply turn them off. Pretty simple.
jbjornson

Postby werchter on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:29 pm

tux. wrote: "Title bars" are meant to be used as draggable bars with informational text, not tabs, in them. Where to place the title then?

What title bars are meant for is of course arbitrary.
In Mac OS X v10.5 and later, the toolbar is not visually distinct from the title bar, whereas in Windows the title bar is located on top of the application menu. In Chrome there is no title bar at all.

I just want to say: what a title bar (or the space at the top of an application window) is meant for depends on who you ask.
This signature was hacked 1 time
werchter

Postby tux. on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:33 pm

IMO every OS has its own GUI conceptions. I don't know any OS or window manager which doesn't feature title bars, though.
tux.

Postby Anomareh on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 pm

I can't think of one tiling wm that has title bars.
Anomareh

Postby werchter on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:10 pm

tux. wrote:I don't know any OS or window manager which doesn't feature title bars, though.

Chrome OS? (haven't used it though)
This signature was hacked 1 time
werchter

Postby tux. on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Anomareh wrote:I can't think of one tiling wm that has title bars.

awesome sort of has (in the top bar, that is).

I wouldn't consider Chrome OS as an OS.
tux.

Postby JLikeF on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:42 pm

tux. wrote:That said, tabs on top are the worst UI nightmare of our decade.

I would say they solve the problem with title bars, I don't need to see the name of the window that I'm looking at and I can easily find part of the bar to drag the window with.
JLikeF

Postby tux. on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:46 pm

JLikeF wrote:I don't need to see the name of the window that I'm looking at

So you never have cascading windows? Or inactive background windows?
tux.

Postby JLikeF on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:27 pm

tux. wrote:
JLikeF wrote:I don't need to see the name of the window that I'm looking at

So you never have cascading windows? Or inactive background windows?

No I do everything full screen, but as somebody said earlier, it's all down to preference.
JLikeF

Previous

Return to Ideas and Feature Requests