Sublime Forum

Plugin Store

We know that Textmate made it very easy to install a plugin by downloading it and double clicking on it. Maybe Sublime can do better.

How about a centralized plugin repository that allows users to easily find/install/remove/update plugins from within the editor.

Centralized repositories proved to be a very good thing like ruby gems and apple app store.

It just makes it easy for the user to find plugins that can be trusted and easy for developers to make their work easy to find.

It also enhances security because these scripts can be pre-vetted to make sure they’re safe.

0 Likes

So… like Emacs?

0 Likes

I don’t know how Emacs support plugins.

0 Likes

Hey delucia,

Are you talking about something like this?: SublimeText Organization at GitHub!

For S1 there was a “package installer” done by sublimator, I think. It would download plugins from the community repo and install them for you. Something like that should be possible for S2 too. Something along the lines of that or .Net’s NuGet would be great to have. The ability to delete/deactivate packages, too. Unfortunately, I don’t think Sublime’s API is ready for that just yet.

There’s also the Resources section in sublimetext.info, which aimed at collecting all available packages in public repos, but it never took off. I will try to resurrect it when I find the time and the energy.

Reviewing and sanctioning packages is a different thing. I don’t know who’d have time for that.

Do you have any other ideas?

0 Likes

@guillermooo

Something like NuGet is close to what I meant although i envision it with a GUI interface in the editor to manage the packages and spare users the trouble of entering commands. something like the app store or the plugin manager in firefox.

The github approach is fine for package developers but too complicated for users.

I think this is a revolutionary idea for a text editor since no text editor, i know of, does this. I imagine many will do soon but it will be cool if sublime is the first.

0 Likes

jedit does this the best. All plugins are centrally managed from the gui. There’s a button to update all installed, and a list to pick newo ones. After years of wild duck chases with vim plugins, it was a great surprise to find jedit’s approach.

I agree that git would be too much to ask for end users. My .vim is a mess of nested .git folders :smile:

0 Likes