Sublime Forum

Python scripts running in the wrong folder?

Not sure whether this is meant to be a feature or not, but I have a bunch of matplotlib scripts which output some graphs as pdf files. I have them set up to just save to the current folder, i.e. something like

figure.savefig('figure.pdf')

When I run the scripts from the command line the files appear in the same folder as the script, but when I run them from within ST (using cmd-B) they appear in the root directory of the ST project. Is this intended? Or does the python sublime build script need to have the current folder specified? It just seems a bit unintuitive at present.

0 Likes

Hi there!

I have just send a tweet to john about this.
It happens to me on Windows all the time, the files go to C:\Windows\System32.
I don’t now where are they going in OSX, but you can figure it out by using os.getcwd()

You can add a few lines on top of your scripts to fix this:

[code]# Need to import os machinery
import os

You can also do:

from os import chdir

from os.path import dirname

Get path of current file

cwd = os.path.dirname(file)

Change current working directory to that one

os.chdir(cwd)[/code]

It’s a bit annoying but… no other way right now.

Hope it helps!

0 Likes

Hi ratnushock, the easiest way I’ve found to fix this is to go to the Python build script (should be under Python in wherever the packages for ST are stored), and make sure it says:

{ "cmd": "python", "-u", "$file"], "file_regex": "^ ]*File \"(...*?)\", line ([0-9]*)", "working_dir": "$file_path", "selector": "source.python" }

i.e. add the “working_dir” property.

I guess I’m not sure why this isn’t the standard behavior.

0 Likes

Kudos to you jesse!

Your solution is so simple and great that now I’m feeling stupid for not seeing it before :confused:

Many thanks!

0 Likes