Sublime Forum

Autosave and tabs rules

This is from here: news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2507191

[quote]I really like the IntelliJ model:

• no explicit saves: files automatically autosave

• the editor keeps a max of N tabs open using least-recently-used

• browser-like navigation by clicking into symbols combined with forward/back history

The autosave part was weird at first, but it makes so much sense. Why bother with explicit saving, prompting “do you want to save”, manually closing tabs, etc. Combined with the navigation features, you never care which tabs are open. Edit history plus version control are much better than a simple save/discard model.[/quote]

I think this sounds like a good idea. I was wondering what the autosave rules are in subl. Is there anything like this? if not, I’d like to request it or +1 it :smile:

0 Likes

sounds awesome!

+1

0 Likes

Since these features have been added to OSX 10.7 Lion, I guess it will be supported by ST2 shortly(ish). Just one problem, I’m a Windows user :wink: Yes, yes, I know - but it’s not going to change any time soon, so save your breath, or send me £2k :wink:

Please may I request that these autosave and version features are still supported on Windows and Linux, even though the OSs don’t support it?

Perhaps create an “autosave” directory in the user data folder and save the old versions in there? Notepad++ does something similar to this and just date and time stamps the filename. Obviously I’m not asking for the full GUI that OSX provides.

0 Likes

You could vote for a suggestion I had a while back :smile:

sublimetext.userecho.com/topic/2 … o-history/

0 Likes