Sublime Forum

ESC key for a different kind of auto completion

In textmate if you hit ESC it auto completes using words already in the current doc and you can cycle through them by hitting ESC again.

If there a way to set this up in sublime? It’s the only hangup I have with the editor, since tab auto complete decides to complete from the language BEFORE trying words in the current doc.

0 Likes

I got really used to TextMate’s Esc behavior also. It’s amazing how often you need a word that’s close by in the same document, and the first letter plus a few taps of Esc worked great.

My adapted behavior is to just be a bit more verbose to get ST2’s tab complete to find what I want (e.g. to match ActiveNav I do something like Ana[tab]) – but I often end up with the common complaint of an obscure PHP function (e.g. an[tab] gave me apache_note(note_name) … err).

0 Likes

Agreed. It need to check the document for completions first before diving into the current documents language api

0 Likes

Couldn’t find this elsewhere-- once you hit tab to autocomplete, if it guesses incorrectly, how do you cycle through other choices or back out of it?

0 Likes

ctrl+space

0 Likes

Sweet, thanks.

0 Likes

There is a Sublime Text plugin available that adds TextMate style ‘Esc’ completion:

github.com/alexstaubo/sublime_t … completion

Helped my switch over immensely :smile:

0 Likes